Maker X Retro esc (those who are interested) a small guide.

yep. That’s why I use it for testing hill climbs. I think I meant %

I live in a place with crazy hills. So I’m glad this esc gave me the power to climb.

1 Like

It would be cool if he has this version. But I think some people went with this version:

I would love to learn if this can work with something stronger than 35amps.

1 Like

This is the one I have, and the answer is no. :laughing:

3 Likes

Ha, thanks. So when I want to upgrade, I’ll get a storm 60D esc

2 Likes

Yup, or the upcoming TorqueBoxes.

1 Like

oh yeah, I heard they were coming out with those.

1 Like

What’s wrong with the torqueboards mini?

Welcome to the community firstly.

For my experience, the torqueboard mini nearly killed me 2 times and almost ended a motorcyclist’s life due to random disconnections. I swap out the batteries, made sure my connections were fine and it still happens, even though I was at a park where there should be no signal disruptions.

So I’m not taking the chances of getting another one.

2 Likes

Yep, I actually have this GoFoc Retro in my SR-71 build, and the DV4 in my BustinWheel build.

Both have been going well so far. The SR-71 is getting a longer ride tonight. Didn’t have any issues on the bench in 12S FOC, even running up to 54k erpm.

In preliminary testing on the metr logs it didn’t seem to want to draw more than 42A total though, not sure where the limit is there, if it’s the motors or the vesc itself. I think the motors maxed out their amps at 105 total or something, which would be their max allowed in VESC tool at the moment I think.

I have the heatsink on it so it should be capable of the full 100A at LEAST for bursts. During the short testing it did warm but but didn’t get very high. I’ll be detailing performance more after I track my ride with metr tonight, in my main build thread.

2 Likes

That’s what I wanna know as well if it can do 100amps. They say that, but I can’t pull the amps, not on my build.

1 Like

How do you know you aren’t hitting the motor limit though? That’s what my current issue is, hit the motor limit. One of my motors made an awful screeching sound on full acceleration too but I think that’s unrelated lol

You’d be surprised how hard it actually is to pull that much current if you aren’t real heavy. The max I ever pulled on my lipo build with dual 6374 was like 70a

Did you run it in FOC mode?

I’m not 100% sure on FOC, but I added a few amps over my motor’s limit. If it gets too hot, I’d lower my amp values. That’s one way of doing it. Dangerous if you don’t have a temperature reading on your motors.

I’ll be doing some engineering research to see how can I find the motors limit. I did it for my KV rating on my motors. Its 75kv.

Edited after doing the math: my max motor amp is 26A

It is in FOC, yes, I will be posting my metr logs later.

So I would say your 26A motor limit isn’t ever going to be able to reach that 100A in the first place. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but you’d need more load to come close.

2x 6374 motors with 100a limits or 6380s with 120a limits would do it I bet

2 Likes

Used mine for 1000km or so at 50 battery amp total and 110 amp total motor. Served me well. Does have some hiccups every once in a while

2 Likes

Hopefully you can hit the limit on these. My build is at its limits. Ha.

Nice to know.

1 Like

I’ll be running it with 6374 mboards motors, have yet to work with vesc but I’ll be climbing that learning curve here soon equipped with some online guides, I’m 6’4" 185 lbs with a 48 inch deck set up with 160 mm torqueboards wheels. Used mboards esc with 10s6p from amesEV, ended up being a crappy investment with a range of 8-10 miles. @ZachTetra will be providing a gently used 12s7p and enclosure for retromakerx

If I learn how I can monitor these values amd report, I need a BT module correct?

You’ll probably want a metr pro, an infinity logger, or the cheap option is a bkb nrf bluetooth module if you plan to run FW5

1 Like

Yes, you need a BLE module. I chose to get flipsky BLE V6. It works fine for me.