Maker X Retro esc (those who are interested) a small guide.

I just want to share my experience with the Retro esc from Maker X.

I’m not gonna lie, it’s a very good esc (and I mean really good. It gets me up a 45% hill with hub motors.) But, I may need to let those who are a bit inexperienced in making connectors and changing pin connectors. I do recommend having a bit of knowledge when working with this esc.

This pin is easy to work with. All you need is a pocket knife and just slide the blade into the flab and fold outwards, then pull the wire. It will come out with ease.

So for my build, it is a 10s10p battery running semi AT hub motors. The hub motors has a 5 pin hall sensor, while the Maker X retro has 6.

The company does give you a bag of connectors for you to make your own. Note these things:

There is no servo connector, so get a servo connector kit like I did.

You have to make your own with a 3 pin red/white/black ph2.0 connector given in the bag. This also uses 4mm bullet connectors and does bring 6 male bullet connectors in the bag, with one xt60 connector.

If your hall sensor is only 4-5 pins, you might need to learn how to remove the 5 ph2.0 pins and replace the one that came in a bag given (I gave out how above). The white wire is a thermo sensor, so if your hub motor doesn’t have one, you can remove it.

This is a dual ESC.

Note about updating this firmware:

Firstly, go to the bootloader tab and install the bootloader. Once you do that, your esc should now be able to accept the latest firmware. You can confirm this by looking at the name of the esc. When you first get it, it will say COM 3. Trial and error until I figured this one one out…

After updating, it will now say COM 4. Congrats, you are now using the latest firmware!

Testing this esc on my build (35amps per motor), I have to say that this esc is 100% worth it. Going up a hill, this esc will push you incredibly fast due to its amp burst. When I say fast, I mean it. I actually had to buy a helmet for the first time of my life.

If you are thinking twice about this esc, you do not have to. However, do note the maximum continuous in the website. If its too low for you, don’t get it. This was worth it for my build. Also, if your remote is the torqueboard mini, you will regret it. Get anything else but that…

So if you enjoy learning how to create your own connectors, then this esc is worth it. More info on this website.

7 Likes

Most info is available in depth in their own vendor threads.
The bootloader advice is a good point, but at least show some pictures on how to actually readjust jst pins, there’s only like 2 pictures about this in all the topics.
Show links on what you actually bought for jst’s, crimping tool, etc. From what i see, using 3 of the already crimped wires in the 6 pin connector into a separately bought 3 pin and soldering the ends to the receiver will be cheaper

1 Like

Let’s give him some time. I saw this on the old forum and asked him to bring it over.

6 Likes

Ummm do you have any photo of that hill?

3 Likes

To be fair, the jst was explained with me just using a knife. The servo connector was me using pliers. I dunno how simple I can explain that…

Fair point. Any info in a easier to read format is welcome

Most the time degree is confused with %. Still a steep hill though.

4 Likes

Think it’s about 22° if he meant %. By walking 100m on that hill, you go up by *40 metres in altitude

Can you explain what the difference is? I’m severely dumb

Since the OG dual has been a decent little chugger for me, I want to see more chatter about this version.

@ShutterShock

Ryan, you have this model, right?

% is the percentage height increment over 100m horizontal line.
While degree is the actual angle.
So if you plot it on x and y. A 100% slop is 100m gained over 100m length 45 degree slope

4 Likes

6 Likes

You failed me. I need colorful pictures to barely understand. Thanks @tinp123

5 Likes

While training is difficult to draw it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’d be surprised how many can’t figure it out. Once you know it’s obvious

To anyone looking, the cable comes out easily like this

2 Likes

Yeah. I got you.

Testing hill 1 speed: 24mph max

Testing hill 2 most steepest one yet. Speed: 18mph

Testing hill 3 much steeper.

2 Likes

it really shows poorly on camera lol

4 Likes

Yeah it’s really hard to tell gradient from photo, silly me for asking :sweat_smile:

I tried to do that lol camera kept falling over.

1 Like

3rd one is really steep. Those are the side walls you find next to bridge. They are at least 40%, so about 22 degree