Maker-X remote with lights control [Serious]

yeah forgot to tag him, so thanx bro :grinning:
And yes, i always ask him first if i need to know something :wink:

For the record, I only use 1 motor boards when I’m close enough to kick-push home if absolutely required :smiley: Like 3 miles (5km) or so maximum

1 Like

maybe, but i didn’t recognized so far, but now i got it.
Thanx

1 Like

i go 4wd just around the corner hahahaha
i got so used to the tears in my eyes :grinning:

1 Like

6 Likes

Sorry, I just want to put my post on top.

2 Likes

so the only “single point of failure” is your remote then?
it it stops transmitting or spews out garbage signals

Anything can fail. Having two systems that only both share the battery is more reliable. The handheld transmitters don’t experience high-vibration and don’t fail as often as parts attached to the skate.

1 Like

Here’s my unboxing of the Maker-X remote. I’ll get it installed and do some preliminary testing tomorrow.

8 Likes

Oh so when I suggested people make a remote with lights on the old forum y’all roasted me live lol I guess it wasn’t such a bad idea. Now y’all have light controls. So when does the remote with a built in cam come out.

1 Like

But it still can’t do multiple receivers.

5 Likes

@YUTW123, Why does the remote only work with v3.38 FW?

1 Like

@YUTW123
I also care about this.
Does this mean that it does not work with Ackmaniac firmware?

1 Like

Also interested in this… I like the features.

I have mine up and running. I had to make some cables, the remote comes with 1.5mm ZH type cable leads, nothing else I use does. That’s not a big deal, just something you need to know up front so you can be prepared.

Another thing to be aware of is, and I am making some assumptions here based on the values I found, the RX does NOT contain a step-down convertor. On the light ports I get exactly the same voltage that I pass to it. I only bring this up because I assumed it did contained a step-down convertor. I measured with my voltmeter to get the voltage values.

With a long press of the A button the front light port is hot (as in on or powered), with another long press the front light port is dead/off. The rear light port stays on all the time. I did not see an increase in voltage with the brake applied, the rear light port had a constant voltage.

The telemetry data is good. It’s reliable and accurate when compared to GPS regardings speeds as are the voltage/amperage values when compared to a voltmeter. The battery life is decent, 4 hours of use and the battery is well over half way full.

I like the way the remote feels, the ergonomic form factor is comfortable and easy to hold. The texture is a bit rough, which adds to the gripability. The thumb wheel response is really good, there is moderate push back on acceleration and braking.

I did have some PWM value issues. They were skewed up, which required realtime app data to define. Also, not really a thing as I would’ve done that anyways. I lowered the dead band to 10% to make it a bit more responsive.

I tried Ackmaniac 2.54, 3.102 & 3.103 as well as VESC 0.94, 0.95 & 1.13. The only firmware that would successfully allow me to get telemetry at the remote was VESC 0.94 firmware. I don’t know why that is, but I do NOT like it. Can you advise us on this @YUTW123? I’d much rather be able to run Ackmaniac 3.103. The remote itself functions on all the firmware revisions that I tried, just no telemetry.

The power switch is tiny. It is only slightly raised over the surface of the shell. This is actually a good thing, even though it’s a bit difficult to turn on & off, it will make it much more difficult to break when it’s in your pocket or hits the ground.

Edit:. I meant to have this done yesterday but spent most of the day looking for 3.38 firmware. Thanks @taz for the hook up.

13 Likes

Thanks a lot @mmaner

@YUTW123
This is a disappointing result as I was interested in the brake light feature.
Any idea?

1 Like

LEDs brightness is controlled by current and not voltage. You’d have to measure the current flow.

8 Likes

True, also 1 12v light will only run at 12v or it dies. That was the issue, I was seeing voltage passed not modified.

Confirmed that it only works with 3.38 FW currently. Metr has an acrhive of VescTool if you need to look for specific one.

1 Like

I got a copy from @taz.

1 Like