Magneto Wand V2

Before Brexit: Customer paid British VAT = 20%
After Brexit: Customer pays no British VAT but VAT rate of home country.

Conclusion: Customer always pays VAT.

spoiler

you wont find it

Well I pay for 25% VAT in my country, then I pay 5% import fees and another 10-30€ handling fee, so on smaller orders it gets quiete pricey for what it is.

There should be no import tax, as the EU and the UK agreed to not impose such fees in both directions. VAT is unavoidable and simply high in your country. With the new EU regulations you typically pay the local VAT anyway, since most businesses have to apply the VAT of the country you purchase from. Other wise it would not be good to have your online store in Sweden when you sell to Luxembourg.
Handling fees are a pain, but for small (sub 150€) orders there is soon system in place to pay your local VAT during purchase and then the parcel is treated as if it is carried inside the EU.

When pressing the throttle all the way. You can push the magnets beyond the hall sensors and it actually releases the throttle a little bit.

So if you use some force to press down the throttle when going all in. You will actually not be going full throttle. I know it seems like a stupid thing to say but the magnet version of the wand has already a much smaller resolution so this matters imo.

@Trampa maybe an update will fix this in the future?

3 Likes

Same here

xmen wand

9 Likes

We decided to give the max throttle position a nice cushioned stop, basically pressing against a small silicone pad. This prevents the magnets from hitting each other, potentially chipping bits off over time and also gives a much nicer feel. 100% is when you hit that soft stop.
If you squeeze the pad with some force you can make the internal magnet to go a tiny bit beyond the hall sensor and decrease the input by a few %. It is not noticeable when you actually ride since we all use butter smooth current control for our boards and there is no big difference in between a 98% and 100% input signal. The two shunt HW 4 based ESCs jump from 80% to 100% pretty much without any way to control the output power in that range accurately. So all the HW4.12, Focboxes, Unity, Tenka, Xenith controllers are not really controllable in that last 20% power range. No one really cares about that massive inaccuracy in control so far because it is simply not a widely know fact.
Compared to that behaviour these 2-3% decrease in throttle are completely negligible, especially in skate applications where we use duty cycle current limits anyway, fading out the power/torque. In a blind test you could not tell the difference. There are other factors that play a much greater role in input response, mostly related how accurate the ESC can get feedback from the measurement taken during operation, how accurate the motor parameters are detected, duty cycle current limit settings etc. In this filed the VESC firmware has seen massive improvements over the last year.

What is actually quite nice is the fact that the throttle is very tunable and accurate, rotating on 2 nice ball bearings. We used weaker or slimmer magnets to make the throttle feel less strong or even stronger. You can stick a small pad onto the magnets to fine tune the full input or max throttle range etc. So if you want to move the full throttle position a tiny bit further forward you can simply stick a 0.5mm thick material onto the top side magnet.

1 Like

“ignore the design flaw

we got magnets! a rubber stop! we got :sparkles: bearings :sparkles: !

stick a shim that’s thin enough and not metallic, cause that could interfere with input readings, you’ll be fine”

2 Likes

@trampa will I die when a foreign magnet gets close to the remote?

There are two halls and they both need to sense the same input. An external magnet would create a different reading in both halls. Also the external magent would need to be very strong and come very close to the halls to have an impact.

2 Likes

There is no such arrangement between the UK and EU.

Source: Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Tax and duty - GOV.UK

This applies to orders into the UK.
For orders from the UK similar rules apply but vary from country to country.

1 Like

It provides for zero tariffs and zero quotas on all goods that comply with the appropriate rules of origin.

Customs Duty can be the added local VAT. If the goods originate from outside the EU or UK there might be a duty on top of the import VAT.

The keyword here is “rules of origin”.
Products may be 100% manufactured in the UK or 0% but I, as a customer can’t be bothered to have to find out beforehand if some goods comply with the above rules.
I am not even sure if most vendors would provice such data.
If you are in the EU then ordering something within the EU is guaranteed to no additional taxes. There are exceptions but for simplification purposes I will leave them out as they don’t apply in our usecase.

Question: Do all the goods one can buy in the Trampa store comply with a.m. rules of origin?

Let’s agree: It was a lot easier before Brexit…
Anything that is assembled by our staff is considered UK made. We assemble a lot.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that

1 Like

This isn’t the case for me. I’m pushing the throttle with the same force and it begins to decrease before touching the silicone soft stop.

How can I tune this? There is a considerable deadband on the forward throttle. The first 1/4 of the throw doesn’t activate anything. Reverse is great, it starts right off center and works linearly until the stop.

2 Likes

The input deadband can be adjusted in VESC-Tool. Standard is 15%

The adjustment of the full throttle end stop is mechanical. We will look into this. Maybe we need to make the silicone pad a tiny bit thicker in future. It is easy to stick some thin sheet material onto either magnet to make the throttle engage earlier with the end stop. From what I can see in your video I don’t think you can even notice it.

1 Like

Cool.

Did anything anything else change actually?
I seem to have a much longer connection range with this wand.

Connection is also dependant on the receiver side. The Magneto Wand still uses the NRF52840 radio.