Made of JB Weld (Serious) (main structure of item made from epoxy)

7 Likes

6 Likes

There is a definite H.R. Giger feel in that last pic :smile:

Edit: tht would not look out of place on a Borg

4 Likes

ever potted an esc to the deck? Im so tempted to, and with heatsinks on all the fets. a thermally conductive resin. be nice to have it part of the deck. I don’t think vibrations are a common cause of escs breaking but be cool especially if a clear resin. is that a full potting you did just above or you consider that more a coating? hard to see. a mold you could put your esc and heatsinks in and then pour and voila out the other end comes a rock you could throw.

6 Likes

This device deserves a build thread. I know my boards well enough that I don’t need a meter hanging from it.

I just got a smaller battery pack on a beer run board and haven’t gauged it accurately. I do have an extra battery meter and male and female barrel jacks…

4 Likes

I just made a couple new ones. These things are awesome. Like you said, I usually don’t need a fuel gauge once you ride your board for a bit. But occasionally I do and I just pocket one of these suckers. Also if you want to watch the charge you can put the female jack on the other side. I don’t always put that there.

9 Likes

Are you just paralleling them both across the read terminals?

Yes​

1 Like

Plugging one of these into a charger will also let you know if it’s a float or a trickle charger :wink:

On a float charger it will kick on and off endlessly until you plug it in to the skateboard battery.

On a trickle charger it will just turn on and go to full voltage.

Most of the time float is better for skate use because it’s not roasting your cell balancer resistors while it’s plugged in and fully charged.

7 Likes

I’m giving it a go. Need to get some jb weld to make it legit.

5 Likes

I’ve got another one in the works too for the 10S li-ion skates

This one is only halfway done; this is after about 5 coats

4 Likes

I had a simple one for awhile till I washed it accidentally :sweat_smile:. I made this one recently with a bit of cable on each end. Didn’t use jb weld though. Used hot glue :man_shrugging:.

5 Likes

That explains my evolve 4A charger then, thanks! Legit thought it was fucked. Been using my 3A and 2A for awhile because they didn’t do that.

2 Likes

The ones that do that are actually better chargers. But occasionally you want the ones that stay on, like if you want to charge to 100% instead of 99.9% LOL or if you’re trying to fix a balancing issue or test a new battery/BMS

2 Likes

them’s confusing words float and trickle charging mostly associated with lead acid cells. i thought we just use either cv/cc or just cv for lithium cells.

3 Likes

WARNING, nOOb TRIGGER: WTF are these things?

Instead of having a battery meter taking up space on your board, it’s a device you can keep in you pocket or backpack and plug in to your charging port to get a reading. You can also plug your charger in the other end and charge through it while reading.

12 Likes

Or you can just have it because you like to work with JB weld :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

But why wouldn’t you just make a small hole in the enclosure and waterproof using some silicone glue easier and looks nicer

This thing doesn’t go on your board. There are no other holes. It plugs into your charge port that’s already there.

Not everyone wants a meter using their battery and taking up space.

9 Likes