10S Battery Questions

I have a 12s4p nese complete set up sitting on my bench and has been for 4 months.

Haven’t even looked at it. Seemed like a good idea at the time which was 2am and 3/4’s of a bottle of Jack.

Guess now I want to go read the nese thread.

1 Like

Since 12S LiFePO4 is nearly the same as 10S li-ion I guess this on topic :rofl:

Seriously though, I use 12S LiFePO4 at 29A (battery) in short-range, non-budget shortboards with satellite motors and they perform great. If you use the cells at less than they are rated for, you will get an increased lifetime. LiFePO4 already has way more lifetime than li-ion anyway though.

3 Likes

I watched a certain EV YouTuber fuck up a vruzend modular pack and it kind of turned me off to the idea.

@Bindings_McGee made a compelling argument for them when he was doing San Diego things.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. I’d try the lowest resistance, longest cure one, especially if you can cure it at room temperature.

Very interesting

Forget nickel, if you’re going to use that then just use copper sheet

@b264
I answered my own question. So, expoxies before they cure are rather runny, and on some forums they mentioned that it could run under the wrapper. BAD!

There was also the risk of the bond breaking and causing conductive bits to fly around your enclosure. So you would need to otherwise reinforce the cells so other structures absorb the vibration and shock.

Based off an Amazon review, the 24hr cure at room temperature did not make for a strong bond, so sounds like you’d want to blow at it with a hair dryer. Fortunately, 20 minutes at 65°C is well below the thermal stress test used in the datasheets. Although that also might have been because the customer did not rough up the contact surfaces.

This means you need to painstaking sand terminals of the cells before applying the expoy.

It can be done, but I looks like it’s not worth the trouble and cost compared to spot welding or other weldless designs.

1 Like

There is a skill and an art to working with epoxy. Short list:

• Only use a little bit at a time. Let it cure or at least get really stiff before applying more.
  • Use gravity as an Ally, not an Enemy.

But yeah running under the cell wrapper sounds scary af

Wasn’t that vruzend guy the one who @mmaner had a row with?
The famous ridiculous little boxes quote.

Really hope it wasn’t the nese guy

awkward lol

I actually like the nese for the simplicity and the fact you can pull a cell. Have to wait for Pestilence to finish with the world before any purchases though so cells are out the window for now.

3 Likes

He was promoted by Jehu and in my opinion, his kits are way overpriced for what they are.

3 Likes

So it’s doable, but probably would take way more time than what it’s worth.

You also REALLY DON’T want to use something like liquid metal (gallium) because that can cause all kinds of unwanted reactions inside the battery as the metal makes its way through the crystal structure of the anode and cathode.

1 Like

I remember that, good times :grin:

1 Like

It was vruzend then?

Thank fuck for that lol

2 Likes

It was jehu fucking up a vzerund kit.

2 Likes

Electrically conductive epoxy sounds like it will end in fire.

As far as how much damage welding does to cells i think any damage would show by doing discharge tests seeing how much energy is lost. Be pretty easy.

I made a compression pack using 3D printed parts, copper sheeting, and rubber bands. It worked well and had very low resistance but took a long time to assemble.

Just these parts and bands.thought was pretty cool. Can post the design n design for the press to form the copper. Actually ended with a more minimalist design that used thinner plastic n used a band for each cell

4 Likes

I will never forgive that man for electrifying a samba.

Needs shooting the guy.

Its a fucking 23.

Wrong.

2 Likes

I have no clue. All of those 3d printed battery module things are the same to me… Imminent failure, if you ride hard.

3 Likes

Thats the only thing that concerns me is the material. Think the concept is good but I do not trust printed components at all. Old fashioned maybe?

:laughing:

2 Likes

I just see too many issues, if any 1 thing broke it shifted it could case a short/discharge that would likely be catastrophic. I’ll just weld mine.

2 Likes

I am going to bond my 4p modules to the enclosure with a flexible adhesive. Do some reinforcing here and there. I will do a thread when I eventually get round to it. As I said I like the concept but there is room for improvement for sure.

I will call the thread.

“Mike apostrophe s ridiculous little boxes”

3 Likes

Most likely because their expected use case is commuter ebike battery.

@hummieee

If you carefully apply the epoxy, let it cure, then apply clearweld over the joints and between cells, it will hold up.

Just probably isn’t worth the time.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the apostrophe.

3 Likes