Lycan 3GDrive - Testing

Found it.

$160 each, buy that was the preorder group but prices. I think the reliability was still being worked on. Regular gears certainly seem like a better drivetrain than anything else

first of all, can we take a moment to appreciate the presentation.

@moon are you a wizard?

second, i need this. how do we sign up?

9 Likes

@moon bug they are beautiful and for great price. You’re doing awesome things. This forum has evolved way faster than expected. We have great minds like you, @rey8801 , @topcloud , @bevilacqua , etc
C6D89455-F658-4537-ABBC-11C26B023C27
source

10 Likes

@morrishu is a lovely chap. He is testing and coming up against some significant issues. Once he has those ironed out then the drives will be

1. good
  2. more expensive.

Get some reality in your thinking my friend. A small run of machined cases and gears etc is an expensive exercise. Just from my own explorations I am guessing that these 5 sets of test units have run into over a 1000 bucks. At least. Retail?? This is a forum member who is doing this stuff because he loves designing things and if a few bucks generate from that well all is peachy. Retail should be over the 400 buck mark. Its all new and untested right now. If the testers cover costs then thats the gravy right there.

9 Likes

I would love to try both of these gear boxes out this fall. @MorrisHsu has been amazing at prototyping so far and continually making them more and more reliable. Balancing the complexity and longevity takes forever. Every failure gets fixed when it appears. With how old they are, I’m sure most failure points have been resolved. I think its in the official “stable release” stage.

As r&d continues for @moon gearboxes, the product is going to be incredible.

I could see @moom selling these for $350-$400 a set if it means i never get thrown off a board from rocks in a belt lol.

Most products are released at a cheaper cost than they are planned to be sold at, that way they attract attention. Its estimated that 35% of businesses are DOA due to lack of profit to continue growth.

Based on the few months i spent at a machine shop, the housings would be milled for about $120 a piece, but cheaper if made in bulk. I dont know if his gears are custom or sourced from somewhere, but they can be laser cut for cheaper or bought from china for less than $5 a piece most likely.

With the bulk discounts for making atleast 5pcs, i would guess it cost about $120 per completed box.

Once you create some sort of bulk production contract it could be done for half that atleast. (Requiring atleast probably 20 milled parts a week)

Only time will tell how these will be prices in the future. The production number will really be the limiting factor.

1 Like

you understood that the diy esk8 market is a small group of people.
there is not “bulk” production as long as you not supplier for a bigger brand which sell the gears as standard on there boards.

There are no discounts for 5pc’s Its not counted as bulk. Its a sample amount and as such you pay sample costs.

This is the issue. Guesswork.

1 Like

i was already sold on these and now I’m even MORE sold :smile:

4 Likes

We’ll see but I can’t see that happening unless there is some serious rubbing.

Again this is a testing/learning thread. I can play with different greases. I do want to add grease ports for next time though

The cost isn’t insane. I’d say the prototyping cost is quite high especially for a 3gd.

I am terrible with guesstimates :joy:

9mm wide. MOD1.5. Nothing out of the ordinary if you compare with other drives in the market.

Then you will be surpised with all the other drives. Nothing crazy here, I definitely need to play with idler materials

I could list 10 people who have broken a gear on a drive.

Go with all steel it might weigh a ton though. I have been working on some helical drives though

I need to buy those trucks to make it fit

That is seriously not how it works, I couldn’t imagine the hate the CNC shop would give me…

They aren’t lasercut…

If the future is 5 years from now than yes. Quantity in esk8 is nothing close to reaching those cheap stuff people like

Skilled labour everywhere in a machine shop, expensive machines everywhere. Time is money.

Picture this CNC machining scenario @Dirt_Bag

TLDR

think opportunity cost. Thats all it is simples. A factory makes $1000/day on one machine and a new customers asks for 10 parts. What do you think they are going to charge?

Some explaining

A factory outputs 150 Kegel pulleys a day (all of the other resources a being used at full efficiency) on their CNC and it equates to $1000/day of revenue to that company, .

A new customer asks if they can submit an order for sampling - an opportunity for the CNC factory to make new business connections. The customer’s part is available to machine only if the kegel pulleys stop producing. What happens next?

• They stop machining $1000/day worth of parts for your 10 samples.
  • They inspect the drawings
  • They start programming the part
  • They order new material
  • Maybe they need to use new toolbits
  • And they start making the parts, shit goes wrong they experiment

After all this do you think it will be cheap? Considering the machines are $1000’s

13 Likes

Think the point has been well and truly made now and lets go back to more pictures of machined loveliness. @Dirt_Bag stop typing right now.

4 Likes

Very nice looking gear drive!
I do not understand this bullshit about the pricing recently, everyone is just complaining at the prices of stuff
This is still in development and on small scale, its normal for the price to be a little high, especially at the beginning.
If you want cheap go with belt drive and be quiet

4 Likes

I have one question, ignoring the mounting style - is it possible to use a 80xx motor? :smile:

You crazy . Buy an etoxx adapter and it should work.

Supporting Kegel core, Speed Vent core, Cobra core, and ABEC11 core is amazing.

7 Likes

with the 12mm shaft or cut down to 10 or 8mm only?

ahh I forgot about that. @sk8l8r forget 80mm motors for now :joy:

nothing what a lathe can´t manage @sk8l8r go for it! for science!!!

4 Likes

Order custom axles on APS :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I remember your custom APS axles…you sure it´s a good idea? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

insanity torque build one step closer … Mach 1’s at 78mm and some custom APS 80xx :smile:

4 Likes