Loose pulley on motor

Howdy all,

One of my Flipsky motors with a D shaped shaft makes an annoying clicking sound when I’m coasting on the board. It’s not causing any problems mechanically, just making the extra noise. I’m thinking a shim might help, unsure if jbweld would be strong enough.

Has anyone had and fixed this issue?
Thanks!

1 Like

Im not sure it would do the trick, but is loctite 648 out of the question? Also does your grub screw go down further and temporarily solve this? If it does but doesnt hold for long try some loctite on there too!

3 Likes

Let me check. When I installed them I broke the hex key tightening the grub screw down.

Loctite 242 wouldn’t suffice would it?

You should use this thread, instead of making a new one.
Loctite 648 is a retaining compound, which would retain your pulley to the motor shaft without a need for grub screw. Don’t use jb-weld.
If your hex key is stripped, then try a bigger size, or hammer in a different bit. You might have to drill it out. If you can get it out just replace the grub and put some blue loctite on it.

3 Likes

Good looking out. I’ve been building/riding this thing for a couple years is why I didn’t go with the beginner thread. Will do in the future.

Got the pulleys off and cleaned up. Appears that cranking down the grub screw fixes it. I’ll slather some loctite in there.

Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Check out knurl-tip 12.9 grubscrews on McMaster. They’ll bite into the flat of the shaft really hard.

2 Likes