Loopkey mounting. How do you do it?

Lol it wouldn’t be my Unity anyways…my friend will have one eventually

On bench testing it never pulled more than 5 amps? I was using small hubs and an online power meter

@evoheyax has the best system I have seen so far. Hides in the truck baseplate and levers out. He will have to spill the beans on how or risk the wrath of Skatan.

Edit; Probs only good for drop through but still very nice.

4 Likes

c9ed3c7112d1feac73a09aa03accdb79ddefbc9d_2_375x500 83ccd7f97795ac3e87b060598ad8ac407e6d0a88_2_375x500

8 Likes

Is there a convention for male vs female being boardside?

Echoing LR-designs, cheaper keys if the female terminals are board side since the male are large enough to easily catch and short on an errant wire, coin or jackass without much protection from the female connector housing.

Comes at the cost of desoldering and hacking a case if built in if the antispark resistor fails

• XT90-s (male connector, female terminals) board side
  • XT90-s (female connector, male terminals) key side

0 voters

1 Like

@evoheyax has a nice one

I’ll just leave this here

I don’t even know how to vote because the poll is confusing; both options presented are the exact same LoLz

The key is the female with the green stripe, typically.

Also it’s in this thread

3 Likes

I prefer to mount the female one with the resistor in the board to avoid having to prongs sticking out that can potentially be shorted.

Both options in the poll say that way

I do it the other way, with the female key

2 Likes

The only thing that happens if it gets shorted is the board turns on.

4 Likes

I’m an animal so i just burry that bad boy in gobs of hot glue on both sides.

Guys, you need to be using the side with the green marking on it as your “board side” plug. Because:

1. It’s way safer, especially if you have small kids around your house. You can shove anything in there and make a connection otherwise…

2. It’s the stronger of the two connectors. The pins in that side of the connector are far less likely to bend or move around.

3. It has less empty space for debris to fall into(and possibly even make a connection).

4. If you use the other side of the connector and there is accidental connection, you bet your butt its coming with a fat spark.

6 Likes

I hear arguments for both.
I like having the key be the actual xt90s just because the other end is much easier to mount cleanly.

4 Likes

I did call out key side vs board side, but it’s a bit subtle for a quick vote…

Your picture is worth more than the text I used to describe it though.

Also just found out polls are locked out for editing after 5 minutes

Probably should have phrased it better as

What do you have Board side:

• XT90-s (Female terminals)
  • Male terminals

I disagree, I think this is better.

1. most of the time if there’s a failure, it’s the female part. This means make a new $4 key instead of repairing a broken esk8.
  2. It’s far easier to mount this when nothing has to slide over the outside of it. You can flush-mount it in a waterproof way.
  3. When you have the key in your pocket with a bunch of shit, the female connector is more robust.
14 Likes

Right, but one you said “put female on board side” and the other you said “put male on key side”. Those are both the same thing. And the opposite of what I prefer.

2 Likes

Oof… You’re right.

Turns out I can’t read my own writing.

In my defense, it’s the right answer (j/k)

1 Like

![IMG_4584|375x500](upload://gA![IMG_1142|375x500](upload://zf

kifKLIYn4ueKUYYYHF0jLzYTQ.jpeg) tc7EH4N9BPojwqIppaoVAMTCc.jpeg)

Only thing I don’t like is having the pins exposed on the board, easy to make a spark if something metallic goes in it

1 Like

I’ve never actually heard of anyone having an issue with the exposed pins on an XT-90 loop key.

12 Likes

I haven’t heard of that either, but it will just turn the board on briefly and maybe mar the pin a little bit. A lot more preferable to burning up the resistor and having that part mounted inside the board.

3 Likes

Plus, if someone is that worried just make a “dust cover” out of a standard xt90 female and some heat shrink/conformal coating/or anything else to cover up the solder pots.

2 Likes