Loop key vs on/off switch

Are there any trusted on/off switches out there? I understand an antispark xt90
Is probably the most reliable- but they look so lame. What is everyone using? Cheers all~

1 Like

Flipsky’s smart enahnced anti-spark and the ones 3d servisas used to sell are the only reliable anti-spark switches. And the one integrated in Trampa’s Vesc 6 mk3. You could get a BMS with an e-switch, but then you risk killing your ESC if it shuts off under load or something.

Loopkeys are the cheapest, that’s why many use them. If you search around you can find cool 3d-printed designs for them that start to make them look not half bad.

Like @rusins said… I don’t think that this looks half bad

5 Likes

Would you think most people are using loop keys still or gone into on/off switches? I have a unity w a built in on/off and damn… it’s so much sexier than my current boosted clone w potential loop key in play- at the end of the day, I’m not staring at the underside of the board, sure… but the production quality/aesthetics of a loop key leave much to be desired.

I’d say it’s 60/40 between loopkeys and antisparks in builds at the moment. Your unity on/off switch will probably die eventually…

3 Likes

Blasphemy! Don’t say that!

You think that’s true for production boards like boosted as well? Lacroix uses unity as well - you think they’re waiting for a bunch of returned boards from dead on/off switches?

Personally no, I think a lot of people would consider loopkeys more safe in the fact that pulling it disconnects power from everything

3 Likes

LOOOOOOOOOP KEY…

3 Likes

Flier 300a antispark switch
Pricy but worth it.
But also a Loop Key is the simpler option and you can hide it if you want to keep your build clean

1 Like

Key differentiator.

1 Like

Pryside anti spark

1 Like

That’s not why I use them. They are definitely the most reliable and offer the smallest amount of places for breakages or malfunctions to happen.

6 Likes

My Flipsky external antispark holds on in 12S. I also have a Flipsky external smart antispark that holds on in 8S. Something always dies in switches… The switch itself, or sometimes only the LED. I couldn’t find really reliable ones. I killed two antisparks : a unikboard one and a eskating.eu one. I wouldn’t use antisparks anymore, neither internal nor external. You can’t rely on them. You’d better use XT-90S IMO.

1 Like

I’ve yet to have a loop key break on me, I have a box of ~200$ worth of broken various switches :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The least likely things to break – are the things that are not even on your board in the first place.

Put an extra PCB in the drive train – and you just added a hundred places that failures can now happen – places that didn’t exist before.

Loopkey isnt so bad :wink:

12 Likes

that loop key would be a joy to grab in an emergency ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FTFY. Lacroix now have their own ESCs. Pretty sure they can make / source their own switches for Unity replacements if they needed to.

1 Like

How about doing both instead of VS? Loopkey for emergency + OFF storage + reliable Switch for regular use.

Best of both world then.

5 Likes

That would defeat the purpose of trying to obtain a clean look while adding another point of failure.

The only other thing I can think of is a loop key inside the enclosure and using a ‘push to start’ feature on an esc which offers it.

1 Like