Looking for pulleys for airless wheels

Does anybody know if pulleys for these exist?

I purchased the wheels to try them out with my eLofty but I don’t like it. Not enough torque and the consumption is a disaster (over 20 Wh/km on the road where I typically do below 10 Wh/km with TB110).

I still kinda like the wheels. I now have an experimental setup with the airless in the front and TB110 + riser in the back and though it looks ugly it’s more comfortable than TB110 both sides and the consumption is still reasonable (maybe 10% higher compared to TB110).

So I’d like to give them a try with belts, which should fix the torque and hopefully also improve the consumption.

2 Likes

The core is kegel, maybe one could be 3d printed?
Also consumption is shit with airless tires, I’ve never gotten less than 25wh/km on my sets

3D printed would be great but I haven’t found any existing design that would fit the wheels and I don’t have the skills to do the modelling.

Regarding consumption, I now get 12-13 Wh/km with the airless wheels only in front. That’s 2-3 Wh/km more compared to TB110 both sides. So I’m hoping for around 15 Wh/km with airless both sides, which would be OK.

1 Like

I think you’ll notice a bigger drop when you add them onto the rear. It takes a lot more to get those bigger wheels rolling. In my experience, the range is barely better than 6" pneumatics, which are a way better ride (comfort + grip). Only benefit is no tubes, imo.

source: been running 6" airless on my big board for a few hundred miles now. Going back to thane, probably 100 or 107mm for the range and torque (6" tires like to overheat this poor FSESC 6.6), I don’t think I’ll even miss the ground clearance, as this board originally ran on 90mm wheels.

One more desperate try.

2 Likes

If you’re desperate Janux make press fit kegel pulleys up to 50T I think.

3 Likes

Bruh dont kegel cores work with those DD’S you are trolling right?

4 Likes

the dickyho airless tires? or another one?
I’m thinking of getting the dickyho airless tires but still on the fence

Sorry can’t help you, but you like them better than the torque wheels at the back? What’s the main difference you feel instead of the Torque Wheels?

Yep. I’d skip them for the 6x2s or something else. Their rolling resistance is p bad too, so they aren’t even good on a push board like these https://decathlon.com.au/products/oxelo-ef-adult-scooter-wheel-200mm-6093?variant=30892690473071

1 Like

:point_up:

1 Like

I actually do like them better than TB110 on bad roads. And I have a lot of bad roads around, unfortunately. They are a little more comfortable and don’t get stuck in a big hole.

2 Likes

dang that sucks :confused:
I wanted tubeless because I don’t want to deal with flats like I always do on my ebike (even with slime) :confused:

So I decided for an experiment and tried to fit these 3D printed 48T pulleys designed by @IDEA:

Now, obviously these were designed specifically for TB110 wheels and the wheel side of the pulley is not flat but rather copies the shape of the wheel. Nevertheless, it kinda worked and is rideable:

I went for a test ride. Did 12 km with some bad roads, some offroad, some steep hills. Consumption: Less than 16 Wh/km overall. Not bad at all!

I think these airless wheels are a bit underrated. If I should put them on a comfort scale where TB110 are 1 and 8" pneumatics are 10, the airless would easily go somewhere around 7. And the extra consumption is actually not that bad though it certainly is noticeable. Will definitely do more riding with this setup.

Here’s my test ride log:

Also, moonbug brought my attention to these pulleys of his that look just perfect! I immediately jumped on them.

4 Likes

I’m glad you are happy now, felt a bit guilty I sold you these and you weren’t totally satisfied :grin:

1 Like

Oh no worries at all. I didn’t have high expectations. You get what you pay for and these were pretty cheap. They didn’t work at all with eLofty. I have the 72kv version. Maybe with the 58kv…

They do seem fine with belts though. Plus, they seem pretty much indestructible. :slight_smile: No risk of flat tire and I think they will work really nicely with moonbug’s pulleys. This was a good deal for me. :+1:

3 Likes

Have you tried the dickyho airless wheels before?
Are you able to compare them?

I haven’t, sorry. Do you have a link for them? I can’t find them.

his ebay shop is down again (virus related)
but heres a link to his airless kit:

2 Likes

BTW, here’s one more log with the airless wheels. This was on mostly good and flat road but I went quite a bit faster. The consumption was about the same as on the previous ride:

2 Likes