Locked at full speed - out of control multiple motors with same shaft - PPM app issue over CANbus

Vedder has closed @jkoljo 's bug Issues · vedderb/bldc · GitHub

The oscillation is fixed in FW5.2. There was a bug when setting duty cycle limit and duty cycle current limit start to the same value, which is discussed and fixed here: #262

It is in the dev-branch and will be in the next release, I just forgot to close this issue. I should probably go through the open issues one by one and update them…

2 Likes

@Filcas did you get this resolved?

1 Like

Tested the latest FW from Benjamin (vesc_tool_test_2021-06-27) and results are exactly the same as previously described. Not solved yet and we are really out of options on this unfortunately. any ideas on how to keep pursuing for a solution?

3 Likes

Set the max duty cycle to 85%

2 Likes

What was the “oldest” FW version you tried?

All my boards run FW 3.65 (vesc-tool 1.28) because it works flawlessly.
I had many dangerous troubles with FW 4+ so no thanks.

I would try it with FW 3.65 (vesc-tool 1.28), if the locking at full speed still exists then probably your esc’s are faulty.

Download v1.28 here

2 Likes

That does the trick (in some cases). I previously setup the Duty Cycle to 84-85% and although they hold up better, had some random cases where they just start doing the same. It’s kinda disappointing not to be able to use duty cycle mode. So far the workaround is to use PID speed, but it’s not even close in terms of smoothness. It too shaky.

2 Likes

Try 75-80% duty cycle.

You can also tune the gains on speed controller. If it’s shaky, dial down the gains.

Duty cycle control isn’t the same on vesc as on boosted boards.

On boosted boards, half throttle gives half max speed. That’s still current control, but 50% throttle also limits the duty cycle to 50%.

That’s not the way things work in duty cycle mode on a vesc. Duty cycle mode controls the duty cycle directly. It doesn’t control the current with duty cycle limiting based on throttle position like on a boosted board.

Duty cycle mode on a vesc as far as I understand it can’t be used to control a wheeled vehicle once you apply a load by placing it on the ground. Yes it will seem to work on a test bench but that’s only because you have no load.

3 Likes

Running into this weird issue with Flipsky VX1 remote set to PPM where if I choose any of the ‘no reverse’ options, either one or both motors spin up to full duty cycle after trying reverse on remote. As long as I do not choose ‘no reverse’ it works fine. Scared the hell out of me.

edit: The ‘STOP’ button in the VESC app does not stop them. I have to do a hard shutdown.

1 Like