Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Yes!

2 Likes

Thoughts on having us do the manual parts for ourselves.

1 Like

Iā€™m hesitant because then I canā€™t sell something Iā€™ve personally tested all the way through with a motor. Every unit Iā€™ve shipped so far has gone through FOC detection and spun a motor to verify functionality.

14 Likes

I wouldnt risk it, not at this price point and voltage. The stuff Iā€™ve seen in the cheap foccer 2 thread says enough.

6 Likes

Got it. I just really want you to do some major volume :grinning:

1 Like

Hey Flux.

Would you know the approx price of shipping to Australia?

2 Likes

Hi Thiago,
shipping to Australia is 38$

2 Likes

Thanks Flux! Waiting for the next batch!

Sorry but it doesnā€™t say anything about the changes in the board itself, just all the additional things/connectors that it comes with itā€¦
Can you be specific about the changes in the board itself?

3 Likes

The board has the large capacitors and JST connectors flipped over to the other side. There is also one capacitor omitted to make placement easier in certain compartments. The motor phase cables are reversed in orientation also to make placement easier.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply. And sorry for my lack of understanding. I was reading a lot but I donā€™t have things clear in certain things.
Just for sumarizing:

• There is a change of the layout to make easier to be install in a Vega capable device.
  • It has one less consender. I am amazed that is not needed anymore as is one of the biggest componentes in the board -I guess is not the same that the little focer then-, what is the drawback? Is not 84V 20S capable anymore?
  • Soldering resistances is still needed for using it? (I didnā€™t know that for using it you have to solder resistances). Will be needed in V2?
    Thanks in advance.
1 Like

It still can do 84V no problem. The drawback is a little less capacitance and ripple current supply but that doesnā€™t affect the relatively high inductance motors used in balance applications.

V2 will have 10k pulldown resistors on the ADC channels by default.

4 Likes

10k seems pretty strong for a default pulldown. Why not 470k?

IDK just random thoughts

3 Likes

4.7k to 10k are common values for pulldown or pullup resistors in industry. You want enough resistance to be significantly larger than the output impedance of the ADC signal but not so large that noise is able to influence the signal.

5 Likes

Doesnā€™t it make more complicated/expensiver having 2 different kind of layouts of the little focer? Wouldnā€™t be better to have something generic, and not dedicated and with the same number of condensers? Will v2 have both versions? Will v2 be smaller? Thanks

The layout isnā€™t different. Just which side certain components are on and their quantity. This is called an assembly variant and is much easier to manage than having something with an entirely different layout.

Yes v2 will have both versions. No itā€™s not smaller except in the Z dimension. Itā€™s slightly slimmer

5 Likes

Any photos of v2 with the new Heatsink?

Iā€™ll post more about v2 when itā€™s time. For now, Iā€™m focusing on the next batch of v1 for an exclusive announcement on this forum

11 Likes

Hi @shaman , have you decided on any system that would give us in the group some kind of advantage to buy the next batch?

1 Like

So far, we got it limited to 2 controllers per order for now. And once ready, Iā€™m going to announce availability here exclusively

10 Likes