Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Hello, @shaman I remember you saying a cap can be taken off to fit into tight spaces in a high inductance hub application (Onewheel). Just to make sure, is it still so for v3.1? And, for that matter, could two caps be taken off? (I should be fine with one)

3 Likes

Yeah youā€™re fine to do that with one cap for the OW application. Most have found that one is enough

4 Likes

Is it safe to drive a relay from the 5v output? I saw somewhere in this post that 500ma was okay and my relay draws about 80ma. I just hooked the signal and vcc wires from this relay: Inland Single 5V Relay Module for Arduino - Micro Center After the fact I realized the logic is pointless if Iā€™m driving them both from the 5v. I just want to make sure no long term damage would occur from the relay.

1 Like

This sounds fine to me. 80mA is well under the max output of the 5V rail.

Okay, thanks! I donā€™t understand back EMF or if thatā€™s even a thing in this case. I just know relays can blow stuff up so I figured Iā€™d better ask before blowing it up. :slight_smile:

Be sure to add a reversed-polarity switching diode on the relayā€™s coil connections (cathode to the positive pin, any 1N400x diode is fine) to ā€œabsorbā€ the voltage spike created when current to the relay coil is stopped. Otherwise the voltage spike could zap the ESCā€™s 5V line/circuitry.

1 Like

I used that Inland Relay module. Thereā€™s a big ole diode on there already so I hope Iā€™m covered.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like I have blown my canbus tranceiver up on the VESC using one of the ENNOID BMSā€™s or a rESCue balance board monitor. The VESC does not appear to be talking but the other two devices can see each other.

Anyone know if this is typically the transceiver chip? Mine is this:

Is there one thatā€™s easy to find and replace it with?

2 Likes

I may have answered my own question. So that chip appears to be a replacement for a TJA1040 which appears to be pretty prevalent. I ordered a couple. I hope that fixes it.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Youā€™re the first Iā€™ve heard to blow the CAN transceiver! Yeah hopefully replacing the IC will do. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

The transceiver itself has pretty decent bus voltage specs but Iā€™ll put reinforced CAN Bus protection on the list for improvements. I can add some CAN-specific protection diodes to give it more ability to tank abuse.

3 Likes

Woohoo! Swapping the CAN Transceiver fixed it.

6 Likes

speaking of 5v rail is it fine powering display (davega) from 5v output.?
apperantly with other vesc its possible to short stm processor via gnd loop using that screen

if not, how to isolate or do it without a separate power source?

this is so useful thanks!!

1 Like

Looks like Iā€™m in the exact same boat! My ennoid xlite v1 just died out of the blue and apparently took out the CAN bus IC on the LFOCer w/ it :/. Thankfully, I got a replacement xlite v3 from Kevin @ Ennoid but still no CAN on my LFOC v3 :/. Is that CAN IC for the LFOC v3 or v3.1 mentioned here? Also, any link to actual replacement part # :}? TIA

3 Likes

LFOC v3.0 CAN Transceiver
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nxp-usa-inc/TJA1051T-3-1J/5035822?s=N4IgTCBcDaIAQBUBSBBAjABgKxoQegGY80kQBdAXyA

2 Likes

would this one work as an alternative?
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nxp-usa-inc/TJA1051T-3-118/2406253

I provided the exact part that is well stocked from the same distributor. Any alternatives need to be pin-to-pin compatible and reviewed for compatibility on your own. Iā€™m sorry but canā€™t open up the ā€œcan X part work instead?ā€ can of worms unless absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

OK, understood, no worries. I was just trying to source it from another vendor which didnā€™t have any stock for that exact same part you mentioned but had this alternative in stock. On paper, it looks like exactly the same specs for both, Iā€™ll take a chance and order it to confirmā€¦

2 Likes

Looks like a drop in replacement, but you cant be 100% sure ofc. The 25 page datasheet does not specify what 118 or 1J means. But they both share the /3 which has the Vio pin instead of EN. Iā€™d give it a 95/100 that its fine.

Might find further info on NXPs product page.

2 Likes

@shaman hi there! first post, n00b alert :slight_smile: having a bit of an issue here: lost my IMU after updating LFOC 3.1 fw to 6.02 - is this a known issue? the rest seems to work, but IMU wizard comes back with timeout. should i try a downgrade, or would you like me to try some diags and report back? thanks!

1 Like