Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Would I also need a mosfet to turn it off when the board is off?

1 Like

Have you looked into the rESCue?

1 Like

Finally got a new belt on:

7 Likes

ooooo boyyyy these are the numbers i was looking for. got a full parts list for this? im looking to replicate this somehow

2 Likes

This is awesome! Unlocking the full potential of 250A to the motor. Excellent thermal management!

1 Like

Well I hope to make a how to video of the water block on the focer but other than that I have a razor wiki where most of my parts and advice are at the moment:

2 Likes

Thanks bud. I may tweak some values to try and get more performance out of it later but for now, it’s pretty fun. Thermals look good eh?

1 Like

What is the wheel sprocket fabrication?

1 Like

Oh, it’s a 3d printed rear and custom aluminum front. Hoping to have a kit available for others to use one day.

Brilliant work overall. Great to see 3D print holding up to the torque. What is the material?

Oh, thanks bud. It’s pla. I molded it around the old sprocket.

4 Likes

Hi. I just wanted to place an order in the EU eShop and they are out of stock. Is restocking planned soon?

2 Likes

The EU will be restocked as soon as possible. I got hit again by the chip shortage so I couldn’t restock the EU with v3.0 since it can’t be made again.

I’ve got v3.1 prototypes on hand right now being tested. That will go into production after I’m done evaluating it.

4 Likes

So the v3.1 has different gate drivers, current sense amps, buck converter, IMU, and CAN transceiver. It also has more copper in the PCB for better thermals when pushing higher battery amps. So far everything checks out. Special thanks to @NuRxG for adapting the LSM6DS3 code to the slightly different LSM6DS3TR-C that I’m using now. A little more tuning to the gate driver stuff and it should be ready for high-current bench testing and then field testing.

8 Likes

Keep up the good work! When you have an idea of how many battery amps it can do be sure to let me know :smiley:.

2 Likes

Found a weird bug when being extra mean to the prototype. If I hammer it with sudden back and forth changes of motor direction on a unloaded motor (completely unrealistic scenario IMO) then it sometimes acts as if it losses calibration with one of the current sense inputs. Resetting the controller then fixes it. I stabilized the 15V rail with some extra capacitance and then wasn’t able to recreate the issue again. So the idea here is that if it can handle me brutalizing it on the bench, then chances are it does fine in the field if operated correctly.

7 Likes

The unloaded part is unrealistic but in a floatwheel scenario that could be a great improvement

1 Like

Yeah. Because it’s unloaded it can change directions very suddenly. When loaded, momentum will keep such a sudden change from happening. It’s that sudden change that causes a lot of stress on the controller.

1 Like

Will it be as good as the v3.0, or we can expect some drawbacks with v3.1? Thanks

1 Like