Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Ah not specifically. Just what’s in this:

I am happy to shoot the shitz with you in a pm or whatever.

Though, I plan to make a tutorial for how to water-cool the v3 focer. Just need to sit down on the computer…

3 Likes

So…anyone enjoying these? Hating them? Blowing them up? I’m curious as to what anyone thinks. Kind of getting crickets here. There’s been a lot activity offline with the Little FOCer being applied very well with all kinds of stuff. But I’m interested to hear what this community thinks so far

4 Likes

Was going very good. I should have my new htd8m pulley very soon to be able to run closer to the 250a limit.

3 Likes

Cooling on these is major getting anywhere near 200-250a! Open airflow is highly recommended

2 Likes

Burning tyres on a dual v3 of these on an ebike. 90A DC/200A. Traction control on the front saves my tyre! Will do further test if my cooling is sufficient. So far I’ve reached 47 celsius on these settings.

3 Likes

My buddy finally installed his in his ebike a few months ago, and it’s been going strong! We are not exactly pushing it to it’s limits though, since that build currently has a 13s battery that tops out at 40A.

However, it might be useful to note that his foccer is running HFI on a large mid-drive motor (Bafang BBSHD) excellently.

I am building him a 20s9p battery for that bike which will be much more worthy of this awesome ESC, I’ll try to remember to update when it’s installed :grin:

4 Likes

Yep! Good advice here. Thermal management is key!

2 Likes

Glad to know the traction control works well!

2 Likes

It’s cool to hear about someone using HFI well with the little focer. I haven’t applied it much myself.

2 Likes

All of these reports are what I like to have. Feedback on what is going well or what isn’t is what I need to keep the Little FOCer strong and make it better.

Also, I’m being forced to do a revision because of the chip shortage. Something inevitably goes out of stock and I have to design in an alternative. Since I have rev up even for the most minor change, then I might as well add stuff to improve the overall performance of the Little FOCer. That being said, v3.1 is being prototyped. I added some stuff that helps when pushing the Little FOCer to its limits.

6 Likes

Ooo looking forward to it!

1 Like

I was watching a video from Benjamin on silent HFI and was wondering if your controller has phase shunts.

1 Like

Nope. Low side shunts. It’s easier to do low side shunts with higher operating voltage

2 Likes

Got it. Wonder if he can work with making that silent too :thinking:.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like it. He explains it in the video but it’s a bit technical. Basically the silent HFI is tied an ability only provided by doing in-line phase current sensing. So vesc 4 wouldn’t be able to do it but any vesc 6 could.

5 Likes

Ahh I see. Thank you. Gonna do some research on 4 vs 6. Never quite understood the difference.

2 Likes

Cool video:

2 Likes

Hey @shaman. Great work and congrats on the accomplishment of the Little FOCer V3!

I’m looking to replace my OneWheel controller with a VESC and was wondering if you had considered adding light bar support to the Little FOCer. I talked to @surfdado about this on discord and he mentioned that currently the VESC open source spec/software doesn’t have support for lights, but if you added hardware support for it he would happily add firmware support for it.

But yeah, it would be nice to have GitHub - thankthemaker/rESCue: rESCue - add more safety and control to your VESC based vehicle built into the little FOCer so it would be truly plug and play replacement.

1 Like

So the Little FOCer’s onboard voltage supplies don’t quite have enough power for a light bar but the spare GPIO pins are there as a way to control external lights if wanted. So if the lights can be powered from a source other than the Little FOCer, then the Little FOCer can control the lights via the GPIO pins with special firmware.

Hmmm, something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Module-Supply-Converter-Non-Isolated-Stabilizer/dp/B09G56C9X5?th=1