Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Is the currently available little foccer the 250A one or is that still to come through onewheelshop or Trionic ?

1 Like

The Little FOCers that have been sold so far are not the 250A kind. The 250A capability is with the new ones Iā€™ve been working on.

1 Like

Update:
The production samples did well! Just some minor solder beefing needed.

Now of course as soon as I put a larger order, another major part ran out of stock everywhere. It was the gate drivers. I found this out yesterday. I already have a potential drop-in replacement identified. Samples of it are arriving today for evaluation. Will have to retune the gate driver passive components but I have that process down. Once everything has been validated with the new part then production resumes.

11 Likes

I was able to verify the replacement part as soon as it came it. Worked just fine and without any need to retune. Production has resumed but the new part wonā€™t arrive until NOV 11. As soon as it comes in, assembly will commence.

10 Likes

Wicked! Canā€™t wait!

Thank you for the work youā€™re doing.

2 Likes

Thanks for sticking with me after so many delays. Itā€™s been a war of pure determination to get product out. Especially these days

11 Likes

Whats the advantage of this esc?.. other than you can run a higher voltage batteryā€¦ which is really cool, but hows the performance compared to other vescs on the market? better durability too? sry tried to find a review in here but lost in the sea

2 Likes

Running high voltage for a low cost plus the IMU and ADC resistors.

Plus it is built like a tank. I used it in extremely high moisture (water sloshing in enclosure) Worked fine got covered and dirt and everything.

3 Likes

Merry Christmas everyone!

Long over due update. I got 3 boxes of awesome thatā€™s gunna make it over to he state side distributor soon. Gunna give these a quality check after the weekend.

Iā€™ve also finally made the move to do this full time. Controllers and power electronics in general for EVs of all sizes just short of full blown automobiles. I now have a whole separate shop in an industrial yard like a grown up. So expect faster turnarounds, more updates, more products, and more of my involvement in general! Just wish me luck fighting the chip shortage lol.

31 Likes

That is fantastic news! Congratulations and good luck with this. I am excited to see what cool new goodies roll out of your shop.

Separate rantā€¦the chip shortages are a frakkinā€™ nightmare. Time and time again Iā€™ve had development projects zapped over the past year. Or Iā€™m forced to stock up on chips for projects just barely entering the prototype testing phase because there would be no chips left by the time testing was done. Hate risking all that $$$ up front but itā€™s often the only way to move forward.

12 Likes

Omg yus! Iā€™ve been waiting for you to quit your job for a while now :joy:.

2 Likes

Godspeed on your new journey. I look forward to see your enterprise grow.

I myself did similarly and itā€™s been very scary. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Good luck! I spoke to ST few weeks back and theyā€™re insisting on using the G family of processors instead of the F. Appearently future stock of the G series will be more avaible. TSMC is doin the F but not G, ST has full control over the G.

Maybe that will help you abit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scary indeed! Iā€™m here at the new shop right now setting things up and testing the latest 5.03 build.

5 Likes

Well I for one will gladly shell over some $$ for a high V esc since options are rather limited and am getting a Lil sick of uboxes weirdness

1 Like

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any value in your video. I must be dumm. :crazy_face:

Curious in the issue. I wanted to make a general vesc repair thread if you end up needing chip rework.

Kevin and I handled this offline. His controller is functioning now. The issue was solved by using the correct minimum voltage of operation (3S is not enough). Kevin is also going to be a guinea pig for Field Weakening with the FOCersā€¦once I get him the firmware to do it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You do chip rework? I have been looking for people for a minuteā€¦

1 Like