Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

I talked to surf, we haven’t figured anything out.

My board works fine, I would just like to be able to connect via BT when out riding to make small changes to the tuning.

1 Like

You may have to get an external bluetooth module. I’ve recommended using an external one on both the forum and the product page

2 Likes

Does that happen with the ESP32 and rESCue? I can connect the ESP ble to the vesc app

1 Like

Here’s a video that shows the problem. I’m guessing it’s a firmware thing.

I’m running the rESCue through CAN so I can’t do that.

I just figured it out! The BT module will not connect while the motor is being driven, whether it is the brake holding of the balance app or actually spinning it. The breaking of the balance app always disconnected me, so when I turned it off it connected!

4 Likes

welp my Focer is dead… :man_facepalming: I connected my rESCue via UART, hit the power switch, and the Focer lights flashed for a sec and then went out. ESP32 board also stopped working. I double checked the wiring and it’s all correct. Board looks clean.

2 Likes

Take a photo of how they are connected before you move it

2 Likes

i got a drv chip if you need it

Did a few pulls before leaving for school this morning.

120A motor and 150 ABS with 30khz switching still cut out, just a bit later. I then halved observer gain and problem seems to be solved. Thanks!

6 Likes

I already disconnected everything and took the heat sink off the Focer to check for any blown components by the time I posted that message. I can show my cable though.

1 Like

I’m trying to do some troubleshooting with the rESCue guys, but discovered battery voltage across the switch pins!?!?!

1 Like

This is normal. It’s high voltage but very high impedance. This works fine when you connect an normally open SPST switch to it

1 Like

Ok :+1: someone previously told me it was 5V so I was worried

I’d prefer you take this to PM so we can see what happened. I’ll need to know if every detail and everything your tried to power up with auxiliary power. Like this reSCU thing

1 Like

Awesome! The observer gain adjustment did the trick

1 Like

@JoeyZ5 and I figured out the most likely cause of failure. One of the accessories connected over the UART caused an over-voltage event.

The protection diode array on the comm connector had failed short. Unfortunately simply removing the diode did not resolve the issue since the MCU also seems to have also taken damage.

3 Likes

Is this something that us other beta testers need to be concerned about? How should we go about avoiding this possible issue?

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this as a pattern. The comm port input circuit is the same here as it is in the CFOC2. Between both designs I don’t think there’s been a significant amount of cases like this. You just need to make sure sure the accessories are ideally using 3.3V logic for communication.

3 Likes

The balance app does not disable UART, unless you have the IMU source configured to be external. In this case, it will only disable external UART, and internal/permanent UART should still work fine.

As for UART only working when the motor is off, i have no clue what this is, but i doubt it’s software :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes