Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

The ability to detect inductance seems to be a little random

I need better connections for the hall sensors because I appear to be losing those during testing.

@shaman would you consider rounding this side of the PCB?

nvm

Still waiting for it to arrive in Australia. Hehe. Will send a report once itā€™s done, though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve installed it on a 20s scooter. It pretty much works, except for HFI. Iā€™m having a hard time getting HFI to work properly on a giant 5kw inrunner.

6 Likes

How is it random for the inductance measurement? Thatā€™s a new one

1 Like

Are you going through the tuning methods for HFI? Have you tried lowering the switching frequency?

Hfi wasnā€™t working for me either though I havenā€™t tried to troubleshoot it at all.

2 Likes

I tried HFI on a Funwheel hub for fun and it worked decently, just loud as I could only to get it to work at like 24V start, 14V run, and 18V end.

2 Likes

The HFI does require a bit of tuning with the little focer. Testers have also reported that lowering the switching frequency helps.

3 Likes

No sorry I mean without changing the values used for detection it doesnā€™t work every time or even half the time.

I need to mess around with it for a while then I might get a better understanding. Also with this hub only turning out to be 11KV vs the 17KV of the other hubs I feel like Iā€™m gonna need 24S :hear_no_evil: seriously even at 100v Iā€™m not going even 25mph.

1 Like

You could try field weakening :wink:

2 Likes

Field weakening on a balance vehicle sounds like Streetface, Inc.

7 Likes

What if there was a reduction gearbox??
:triumph:
Then the motor might be able to.

Maybe a bigger tire would help. I hope you have 6" rims and not 5.5" rimsā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ll make a damn thread now.
Good idea.

Failing detection is a different issue. So is it failing to detect in several instances? This is not typical behavior from my own experiences or the experiences of testers. Are all connections solid in your system?

1 Like

Face Weakeningā„¢

11 Likes

Did you manage to finish the adapter you were designing to fit a 6inch on a phub/funwheel?

Yes, but it was a failure. Had to switch back to 5.5" rim tire

1 Like

That sucksā€¦ I remember now you said you needed to go back to the 5.5". Still looking into it, though?

Still considering machining an adaptor.

2 Likes