Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

All of these reports are what I like to have. Feedback on what is going well or what isn’t is what I need to keep the Little FOCer strong and make it better.

Also, I’m being forced to do a revision because of the chip shortage. Something inevitably goes out of stock and I have to design in an alternative. Since I have rev up even for the most minor change, then I might as well add stuff to improve the overall performance of the Little FOCer. That being said, v3.1 is being prototyped. I added some stuff that helps when pushing the Little FOCer to its limits.

6 Likes

Ooo looking forward to it!

1 Like

I was watching a video from Benjamin on silent HFI and was wondering if your controller has phase shunts.

1 Like

Nope. Low side shunts. It’s easier to do low side shunts with higher operating voltage

2 Likes

Got it. Wonder if he can work with making that silent too :thinking:.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like it. He explains it in the video but it’s a bit technical. Basically the silent HFI is tied an ability only provided by doing in-line phase current sensing. So vesc 4 wouldn’t be able to do it but any vesc 6 could.

5 Likes

Ahh I see. Thank you. Gonna do some research on 4 vs 6. Never quite understood the difference.

2 Likes

Cool video:

2 Likes

Hey @shaman. Great work and congrats on the accomplishment of the Little FOCer V3!

I’m looking to replace my OneWheel controller with a VESC and was wondering if you had considered adding light bar support to the Little FOCer. I talked to @surfdado about this on discord and he mentioned that currently the VESC open source spec/software doesn’t have support for lights, but if you added hardware support for it he would happily add firmware support for it.

But yeah, it would be nice to have GitHub - thankthemaker/rESCue: rESCue - add more safety and control to your VESC based vehicle built into the little FOCer so it would be truly plug and play replacement.

1 Like

So the Little FOCer’s onboard voltage supplies don’t quite have enough power for a light bar but the spare GPIO pins are there as a way to control external lights if wanted. So if the lights can be powered from a source other than the Little FOCer, then the Little FOCer can control the lights via the GPIO pins with special firmware.

Hmmm, something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Module-Supply-Converter-Non-Isolated-Stabilizer/dp/B09G56C9X5?th=1

Would I also need a mosfet to turn it off when the board is off?

1 Like

Have you looked into the rESCue?

1 Like

Finally got a new belt on:

7 Likes

ooooo boyyyy these are the numbers i was looking for. got a full parts list for this? im looking to replicate this somehow

2 Likes

This is awesome! Unlocking the full potential of 250A to the motor. Excellent thermal management!

1 Like

Well I hope to make a how to video of the water block on the focer but other than that I have a razor wiki where most of my parts and advice are at the moment:

2 Likes

Thanks bud. I may tweak some values to try and get more performance out of it later but for now, it’s pretty fun. Thermals look good eh?

1 Like

What is the wheel sprocket fabrication?

1 Like