Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Yeah… scary stuff though. But glad to see you’ve fixed it!

1 Like

That’ll buff out…

5 Likes

I tested out my 24S1P lifepo4 pack, after charging the cells all naturally went down so when I power the VESC on I am just a touch over 84V. ESC is not seeing anything like the 87.6V max charge it is supposed to be. Charging it to 84V/3.5v a cell on purpose is even more safe.

After ripping 5 miles of trails I was still at 79/78V pretty wild.

I need someone to take a video of my epic nosedive going for a max speed attempt… I don’t think head mounted gopro will do it justice.

I am also stressing the thermals as hard as I can, I have wrapped the ESC in kapton to protect it from all the dust and it is also attached to plastic (can still feel heat through the plastic lol). Still not getting it over 50 deg C I think. Need a range extender and just to run it uphill until something gives up. prob me.

8 Likes

Really glad to see you wheeling around! Please keep us updated!

About the damaged DRV. This one seemed to take damage right around the gate driver power supply input. The built in buck converter of the DRV supplies power to this pin. So if the buck converter wasn’t regulating properly, then this pin could have been fed the raw battery voltage and pop like seen in the picture. Most likely a slight imperfection in the manual reflow. This chip demands perfection when being soldered by hand. Even I struggle with it sometimes.

It’s a tricky issue since this gate driver supply pin can actually handle pretty high voltages without regulation but not as high as the max operating voltage of 84V. So it can it could function if powered with 24V but then pop when you plug in the battery or do some regen braking.

3 Likes

Glad to hear from you man! I’m really glad you got this up and running! Yeah please post vids or pics of your ride and setup.

2 Likes

Happy to be getting to ride my old broken board again! and with even more life now!!. It has its own thread I am going to get nice pics and update, will link all that and future ride footage here!

I just slapped the battery in and went to see if it all held together or something burnt out. All good happy to find out. Makes me wonder if I am the crazy mf who will put a 22S or 24S li-ion on this kinda board…

I could notice what feels like about nearly a 40-50% boost in torque from 53V, little hard to tell when it was already impressively powerful. Needs better tuning to really rock on every voltage.

4 Likes

Put some Windex on it.

3 Likes

Goldenmotor is pretty big Chinese brand for bldc motors and controllers for all sorts EV, bikes and go karts. I’m ordering a 96V 5kw Motor and 300A speed controller from them for a gokart I’m building,

1 Like

Interesting heatsink mod for better connection found on Facebook

7 Likes

I did something similar a while ago on the lab bench to see if it helped. I didn’t do much from what I could tell. Your mileage may vary.

6 Likes

Little FOCer compared to other ESC used by RION

4 Likes

Super sleuth here found some of my secret projects :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:warning:UPDATE

The global IC shortage is hindering my progress in continuing further. There are some critical ICs that are currently out of stock at a global scale and I’m not able to continue with production with the current design of the Little FOCer.

However, I have already started redesigning the controller to use better stocked ICs that have several pin-to-pin substitutes across multiple brands. This should help alleviate supply chain issues. This also opens up the opportunity for me to strengthen the design even further. Features that I have reserved for a “Turbo” version of the Little FOCer are now being integrated. Motor currents of up to 250A are achievable with the design changes with the same physical profile/dimensions. This should help maximize your bang for your buck.

Stay tuned. Delayed but not defeated.

23 Likes

Sorry that this is happening to you but looking forward to hearing the updates on your redesign progress!

5 Likes

The turbo sounds fucking awesome. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

250A motor current? DAMN! Now that is amazing.

The IC shortage sucks major ass

4 Likes

Are you using a different microcontroller and driver ic? I thought vesc only supported that one specific stm model?

Sounds pretty cool though! Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

1 Like

Thankfully the microcontroller isn’t the limiting factor right now.

4 Likes

Best of luck in this. I’m excited to try whatever it is you come out with. :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s a prototype of the “Turbo” next to a v1. You can see some of the differences. This prototype did 250A motor on the bench for just over 30 seconds with only the simple aluminum block and no airflow.

17 Likes