Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Correct. The v3 can not do momentary switch support

Hey Shaman, in the new Tronic 250R 32s, would the lights control be in a separate PCB, kind of stack or would be in the same?
We are eager to know how is it going :slight_smile:
Thanks

Light control is part of the main PCB. I’ll provide progress updates as they come

3 Likes

Very exciting to have a 32s with regen ESC :slight_smile:
I guess you are very busy, but please don’t forget us.
Thanks

3 Likes

Testing of the v4 is still in progress. Looks like the added current filters do more harm than good for balance applications. Also I got to see some comments from Ben on how the current filters really only benefit the hardware that use in-line current sensing. So yeah kind of useless for the v4. Easy enough to remove them and carry on.

4 Likes

Doing a limited sale for the LFOC v3.1.1 units. PM if interested

3 Likes

The v4 is doing great and breaking some records in some OW circuits. I’ve put it in my Surron to blast it with 250A motor and 80A battery. No issues at all and stay plenty cool.

Will be placing it in a formal enclosure this week to make sure the enclosure is good to go.

9 Likes

How is it on the throttle compared to the stock surron? I would like to use a vesc based controller for my son’s dirt bike but have seen some reports of them having sluggish acceleration compared to something like votol. I always assume it was the user not setting the throttle response or some other settings correctly, but was hesitant to go vesc for that use.

Acceleration depends on amount of motor phase amps being delivered. No idea how much the specific votol controller you mentioned is delivering vs the particular vesc controller you are referring to.

250A phase on an otherwise stock Surron isn’t particularly impressive. Not doing wheelies or anything like that. It’s more of a stress test for the controller

1 Like

I wanna buy two and use them for my gokart that I’m modifying to run on two super flux one wheel motors lol

Would do well as a stress test that won’t kill the user if it fails

3 Likes

Edit deleted the votol info, seems wrong to post about another product in your product thread.

1 Like

No worries. It’s a common question to bring up about how one controller does vs another. Then that leads to the explanation of phase amps being directly related to torque and so on.

I do understand the relationship between phase amps and torque, the question I had was due to some smaller pit bike builds using vesc and running 70ish battery amps and 100ish motor amps, the same amp settings on vesc vs votol or fardriver, the rider felt it lacked the punch on vesc, now should 100 phase amps feel like 100phase amps no matter which unit is used? The only larger dirt bike builds I could find were using much larger controllers with around 800 phase amps so those builds don’t really help.

1 Like

Your controller is also like 1/4 the size of the votol so that would be ideal as well

1 Like

There are a lot of adjustable variables that would dictate the punch you feel

Ramping time
Throttle expo
And even things like switching frequency can play a role in this

3 Likes

Question for the community. Would y’all be mad if I broke up the “traditional” 7-pin comms connector into 3 separate ones for ADC1, ADC2, and UART? The idea here is to better support other non-esk8 non-OW applications like ebike, escooter, and whatever else used ADC-based throttles/brake. I would do it as shown in the image.

There are plenty of uart devices that rely on 3.3v, especially as more of them transition to ESP32s. I don’t know if the previous modules ran on 5V, but I know the esp32 based accessories I have all run on 3.3.

1 Like

True. So I guess I gotta figure out if the UART connector should have 3.3V instead of 5v. Is 3.3v supply for sure gunna be better? I’ll do my own research of course

1 Like

To be fair, if someone is going to bother using this in a skateboard, they’ll probably have the means to just steal 3.3v from one of the adc ports. I just think it would be convenient to use a jumper or solder bridge to change between them.

5v is the better choice

1 Like

Hmm yeah a jumper would be nice if I can squeeze on in. I can also add a 5V pin to the extra GPIO connector for general purpose.

1 Like