Life Hacks Compendium

This thread is for the good kind of “Oh Shit!” moments, when you learn or figure out a way of doing things that makes life way easier. Making it cheaper is also much appreciated. I’ll start:

How to break a tire bead with cheap tools and no rim/tire damage

Supplies needed:

• 2x quick release clamps (I used the $3 harbor frieght variety)
  • windex or equivalent

Procedure:

• remove rubber covers from clamp jaws (this gives them a narrower flange that can reach further inside the bead)
  • apply windex
  • squeeze a clamp on, as close to the bead as possible, until the jaw is below the rim flange and a little gap opens up
  • scooch the clamp all the way into the bead
  • continue clamping
  • apply windex and second clamp close by
  • moar squiize
  • if the bead doesn’t break, take off the first clamp and move one step around the rim
  • repeat until bead breaks

11 Likes

damn that’s a thick wheel

For push fit wheel adapters (i.e. kegel cores, etc) apply a bit of lithium grease to the pins for easy removal and wheel swapping later.

2 Likes

dang that’s genius thanks

1 Like

Yeah it was originally from a honda grom

That sounds super obvious in hindsight but I never woulda thought of it

1 Like

If you have a bolt head that strips, just use a Dremel to turn it into a flat head bolt. At that point, it will be super easy to unscrew.

3 Likes

Yeah first couple times changing wheels I’d break a sweat just trying to pull/pry them off. Never again.

1 Like

This will not work if you bolt was stripped due to being made from weak metal. If it stripped because you were an idiot with a drill then it is a good solution. If you stripped it with hand tools, then go buy a screw/bolt extractor.

Yup; if it is a weak metal to begin with, turning it into a flat head screw even makes it easier to destroy.

That said, I found that having a torch makes a heap of difference if a bolt is only slightly stripped; i.e. there’s still some bite but it still slips, like with grub screws.

2 Likes

another option, specifically for legal cores, is to drill the holes out with a 15/64th bit. a lot of times there are mold seams in the holes or other imperfections that grab the pins harder.

2 Likes

I’m sure this works, but if I try to buy a drill bit with such an absurd unit of measurement on it, i run the risk of passing out before i reach the checkout.

Don’t be a cunt

2 Likes

unfortunately the local hardware stores usually don’t shelve metric drill bits. Something about freedom or baby jesus or something, idk.

5 Likes

you should’ve ordered from the EU Hobbyking Sale

1 Like

Bruh
LHB’s tip is perfectly welcome, I just hate that my country foists so many uncommon denominators on me. Shoulda used a joke that made that more clear, sorry @longhairedboy

2 Likes

Nevermind this, i read it as

but it’s about drill bits, not screws… HK didn’t sell those.

but just the tip. I promise.

damn I set myself up too neatly for that huh :rofl:

1 Like

When I want some greens without making a full salad, Ive gone to make salad sliders for my mouth hole(SSFMH).
Shove some greens in there, toss some sunflower seeds, top it off with bacon bits and some dressing and boom salad slider.
This has been going on for a couple years and isn’t going to stop. I have saved at least a few loads in the dish washer.

Every Californian should do this during their droughts.