Let there be ESK8 lights

Nothing too fancy but I just put @Kaly mounts on the Nightbloomer with some pistol lights

7 Likes

I made a portable version for my MBS build so I don’t have to keep them on there

9 Likes

Still need to 3d print a bracket.

AU $2.41 15%OFF | Angel eyes 12V DC annular cob led light source 2W 3W 4W 6W 8W 10W 12W 20mm 60mm 120mm warm cold white cob chip for DIY

AU $4.35 35%OFF | 20CM Carbon Tube Bicycle Handlebar Extender Mount Mountain MTB Bike Cycling Headlight Bracket Lamp Flashlight Holder Accessorie

20 Likes

Oooh these look like they could double as a nice bull bar/handle on matrix trucks. Buying them to see. Thanks for the link dude.

I’ve been dying for someone to light up the tbs.

I want Dex to make a uv version so that the lights charge them while riding.

Early prototype sketch…

I think your version looks a bit better :sweat_smile:

Do you have the handlebar attachment already?

2 Likes

Handle bar attachment is already attached see pic one it’s super stealthy its main use is to attach two handlebar bike lights to the front of the board. I originally bought 12v to 80v motor bike lights but these are overkill. Going with two lights with inbuilt battery. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392889728613
UV Thane would be amazing.
The rear wheel illuminators are going to be more complicated.

2 Likes

I have that same light. Did you make that mount yourself?

2 Likes

I used the mount that came with it to be able to adjust the angle: Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G620ZVU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Plus half of this: LAMPHUS Cruizer LED Off-Road… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FETT3FO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And here is the solution for my Trampa TM… Ignore the rust haha…

On my original Trampa I was able to mount it using a thin stainless steel plate because of the cutout in the front of the deck it was a bit easier to mount, but for the haero I machined you small alu brackets (and annodized black) with some counterbores to be able to smoothly mount the bolts holding the h shaped half of the second link above.

3 Likes

Nice! I felt like these light are really good quality for the price! I’m going to try your mounting method.

6 Likes

hey nerds - apologies if its in here somewhere but is anyone running lights that can be run directly off a 12S (50V) pack? If so have you had “success” with them? the last thing my flux really needs is proper headlights. I got caught out in the middle of a non-lit park after sundown in leafy uneven terrain, don’t wana deal with needing to inch along at sub-20mph again to ensure I don’t hit anything.

I need something that fits the front end so I was thinking I could fit this between the two front motors.
https://www.amazon.com/LEORX-12V-80V-Motorcycle-Headlight-Accessories/dp/B00XVAEP8E/ref=pd_sbs_263_4/135-3794113-7725708?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00XVAEP8E&pd_rd_r=d0dfa6f1-a96b-4d13-a412-d9fbc21ecffc&pd_rd_w=ytCds&pd_rd_wg=LBths&pf_rd_p=ee4a13a5-1d19-4a45-a832-a74924eb9541&pf_rd_r=DP4HWN74WFFXTFRS44YY&psc=1&refRID=DP4HWN74WFFXTFRS44YY

Between this area

lmk your thoughts/reco’s if you have any.

Appreciate it!

edit- I don’t have a lot of room for a buck or step down but if thats my only real option lmk

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’d do.
If you get a nice converter/driver from somewhere like Mouser or Digikey, they can be very small and efficient (Can be under 1 cubic inch). You’ll pay more for one there than from China, but it’s worth it.

Another option would be to get a commercial light that doesn’t run on 12s, and replace whatever driver it has with one that will handle the extra voltage.

Obviously that’s a significantly involved process, so I’d say just stick with either an external buck running regular 12/24v lights, or an external LED driver running bare LEDs. (I went the driver-and-bare-LEDs) route on my last esk8 and it was great.

1 Like

Check out electric forklift lights. The ones that run right off the lift’s pack can handle our voltages.

5 Likes

thats why I was asking about this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XVAEP8E/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4EPCLNLR8WA6

it says it can run up to 85V but I’m worried about the other electrical specs

1 Like

That guy looks perfect. I’m running that big 40W one on my mtb and it’s great.

1 Like

nice! Do I litterally just need to run another powerline off my pack hook it up and go? I was thinking I could add a xt60 port on the side of the enclosure or something so I can disconnect it externally

any pics you have of your set up would be dope.

thanks man

Going with a set of these and calling it a day

7 Likes

Yeah. I just use an xt30 right into the main lines. There is a really similar red one in the back that uses the same harness.

8 Likes

The main distinguishing feature of a lot of these types of connectors is the center-to-center pin spacing. The photos are helpful, but you’re measuring the outside-to-outside dimension, not the center-to-center.

The easiest way to get an accurate ctc measurement with calipers is to (1) measure the width of a single pin, then (2) zero the readout, and (3) perform the outside-to-outside measurement again.

The initial measurement-and-zero effectively subtracts one pin width from the final measurement, or in other words, half a pin width from each pin, which means the final number you see is the center-to-center distance.

(Just make sure to re-zero your calipers before measuring other stuff, or everything after will be off by a pin-width.)

4 Likes

I need to pin this!!

making dad pins

6 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for a light I could mount to my helmet so I can see better while night riding?

1 Like

The 588 lumin light from Harbor Freight…$10 a pop and they are quite nice, HF also sells hose clamps you can use to attach to the side vents of the helmet

If you can get something rechargeable that would be a good investment, I’ve gone through a whole 24 pack of AAA batteries in like 100 night miles

2 Likes