"Learn how to fall"

It’s a meme around here but… Clearly I don’t know how to fall.
Flaky vendors aside it’s a given that every physical device fails eventually so we do actually need to know how to fall.

Who’s got the resources on how to fall? Good YouTubes on how to fall?

I’m guessing it will be vert/street skate videos since they fall all day every day and mostly stay in one piece.

5 Likes

Ragdoll :+1:

Hit the earth like a wet noodle

3 Likes

roll

if u superman, try to turn ur body so u start rolling

4 Likes

Running man and slidey gloves

2 Likes

Aim for the grass if you start the speed wobbles. Tuck and roll.

If in bindings, turtle maneuver :turtle:

3 Likes

I usually aim for pedestrians when falling, especially women and children.
Generally I come out unscathed :+1:

14 Likes
2 Likes

Dont do this 🖼 Pictures and Nothing Else! - #15080 by SquishyCat

4 Likes

Watch Josh(RIP road king) do it. Just do what he does,sometimes i watch it over and over,it so simple, me ? I usually choose to grind my face on the pavement first thing ,you know to scrub some speed(skin)off

13 Likes

I know how to fall without bindings.

But with bindings I’m clueless and I keep hurting myself.

3 Likes

So I have limited experience with full binders .
I ASSume you are off road? I’m primarily a somewhat aggressive street rider.
I use Tomiboi spring clamp bindings, tight turns I need the extra leverage, the spring clamps work great.
I can see where they might not( will not) be as good, but I have crashed the spring clamps several times and above 40 mph (65kph) I always managed to get out of them fine.

The trade off In retention vs making a clean safe exit is IMHO worth a try.
Good luck

1 Like

Haha, That’s why I got them.

Haven’t had the chance to really ride them in the same situations that were giving me issues before with full bindings, so I don’t know that they’re the solution for me.

But what you described was along my line of thinking.

1 Like

Before my board weighed 62 lbs i could also bunny hop it. I really only did it to avoid rocks or something that id crash on.I wasnt doing them for fun, but it could be done. I think they (spring clips)are the best solution. Before i found them ,i was going to try a set of Trampa bindings with out the heel retention .

Any one else have an alternative? I considered summer board hooks too

2 Likes

Don’t do this:

Processing: VID-20210417-WA0005.mp4…

Me a few years ago when a friend of mine was trying to teach me to powerslide…

Wear a helmet!!!

Broken upload

“Learn how to upload”

@xsynatic @rusins

1 Like

I remember as a kid doing some judo/krav maga lessons where you actually learn how to fall without hurting yourself too bad/being able to go up again the fastest possible after a fall, and I think it helps
Also it’s done on a good old mattress so probably not as painfully as learning how to fall by hitting the skatepark

(But I also had countless hours of rollerblading which surely taught me much about falling too in a more concrete way^^')

Never put your hands down first, but you can put your arm/elbow down first without as much risk. Wrist and hand have tiny weak bones that take way less force to break while the shoulder and elbow bones take a lot more force to fuck them up.

Landing and sliding on your knees before landing on an arm is better than landing on your arms first. If the knee is bent you can potentially damage the PCL but that takes a good amount of force and at the very least is easier to deal with than an ACL injury. As in you can still walk normally with it damaged but you do have to make sure not to stand still with your leg straight since the PCL keeps the knee joint from bowing out.

The best way to make sure you fall right when something happens is with muscle memory and wearing pads. So you gotta get creative to find a way to fall on purpose safely at slow speeds.

What does this mean?

1 Like

Go to your back and drag to a stop

1 Like