Larger motor pulley = more efficient?

Higher gearing has more drag, less gearing free rolls better. This comes into play when you are cruising. If you want max power then more gearing and faster spinning motor makes sense. That efficiency doesn’t necessarily correlates to efficiency at slower pace. Some hub motors are super efficient with no gearing at slow steady pace, once you get on the power hub motors are not the most efficient anymore.

2 Likes

I’m half tempted to just go out and run some tests myself - I just received 3 different motor sprockets that’ll take me from 6.2 to 5.2. However I’m lazy, and retensioning is a pain with the tire in the way and loctite to dry so it might take a while before I actually switch it out.

How bad would it be if I run one wheel with different pulleys, and unplug the phase leads from the motor I’m not testing and run 1WD during the tests :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No one said getting the most efficiency would be exciting…

1 Like

a hundred meters

Sounds good. with the one motor being subjected to double the load as two it’s especially going to be more efficient with a bigger gear ratio.

But what would be the test and the test will decide what gearing is most efficient? The bigger the load the more so the motor will be efficient going faster

1km @ 20mph with two different ratios… I’ll predict the higher gear ratio with the faster spinning motor is more efficient.

Well then. Assholes.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve done any long range rides/test, but I vaguely remember getting better range with the 160mm TB pneumatic wheels vs the 125 Gummies Trampa gummies, I think the wheel pulleys were 62T vs 44T

1 Like

Well I was thinking more of would I blow up the other ESC side or motor by not having an output, but sure :slight_smile:

I have a flat parking lot nearby, so I was thinking about simply cruising in circles at 15mph or so and seeing what efficiency I got after 5 minutes or something. It wouldn’t really test acceleration (besides in real use you’d encounter the same issue anyways), and both ratios are already pretty high so in theory it should be reasonable.

1 Like

No, I could get back to ya on it

1 Like

I hear you, this doesn’t really pan out in reality for me and my experience. I fucked around, and I found out, and this is my results. Scientific method

1 Like

They told me they have a strict no refunds policy, but they made an exception since I had requested the order cancellation like 15 minutes after placing the order.

So they did right by me, but in general I think this is a very poor way to treat your customers / conduct business.

4 Likes

It doesnt make sense to have more efficiency with gearing or voltage or kv that results in an even higher top speed that your not riding at unless the gearing itself is a greater loss .

I believe the esc is also more efficient when at top speed

I thought higher ERPM → Higher switching losses ?

That’s also my experience. My 4wd meepo hub board is the most efficient board out of all boards in my community. Even on high power levels. The rolling resistance is just so much lower.

3 Likes

I mean when comparing different setups where u have the same speed but one with a kv, gear ratio, voltage that results in lower duty cycle. I thought the higher duty cycle the less switching losses, no?

Most of the focus here has been on motor efficiency.

Nobody has really addressed how much efficiency you might gain in the mechanical system moving from 13t to 20t. The belt bends less, so you’re going to gain some efficiency there.

3 Likes

Yea maybe that’s the real reason for the better efficiency. The motor might be a bit less efficient but it’s outweigh by mechanical efficiency.

Maybe the pwm rate could/should be altered as well for best efficiency of motor and esc

This guy shows the higher the pwm the more the whole system is efficient.

But what of duty cycle? It influences both esc and motor efficiency.

Go out and prove me wrong then :grin:

I know I’m right because of “fuck around and find out” aka the scientific method

2 Likes

science_drink

Yes!! Please someone do this. I might if I get a chance.

Gotta do uphill and downhill, against the wind & in the wind, and start at the same battery SOC and somehow manage to keep the same speed

And log all the settings

or just use a lab power supply and a dynomometer