motors, Kv, gearing all much differentā€¦

but I can hand spin one wheel on my 58Kv direct-drives and get roll to start

regardless of all equipment differences, the DD drives roll-start easiestā€¦

3 Likes

Good to know

1 Like

hubs should be about the same as DD?

1 Like

Hub motors are a direct drive, along with things like TB DD and Carvon Speed Drive

2 Likes

I think soā€¦ both hubs and direct-drives have more pole pairs than traditional BLDC motorsā€¦ maybe they donā€™t require they same effort to spin to create the start voltagesā€¦

3 Likes

nice, then no switch it is for my Jedhubs :rofl:

thanks for reminding us thereā€™s more than 7 pole pairs out there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t need much current, but rather voltage. Like Brian said, you need power long enough for the MCU to wake up, do a reset, and go through its startup routine and enable the dc-dc converter and other ancillaries that can keep it on.

So it depends on the kv of the motors as well as the gearing, and also exactly how quickly all the above steps can happen. Iā€™m sure you could optimize the code to improve that.

2 Likes

@Blasto someone commented on @Lee_Wrightā€™s recent video that the Stormcore PCB looks like it comes with a layer of conformal coating. Is this true? I want to be sure since I plan to occasionally use my board on rainy days. I bought some conformal coating to apply myself since I was under the impression that the Stormcores do not ship with conformal coating already applied.

1 Like

yes thereā€™s conformal coating on the pcb, however this does not make it water proof. Conformal coating offers a minimal amount of protection against debris and moisture

It would be best if your enclosure is water proof.

another feasible option i guess would be to inject and pot the entire pcb withing itā€™s own enclosure. If i had to do it this way, I would remove the plastic shroud, pop a injection hole in it, re-install, plug a xt90 cable (dont want to gunk it up), tape up all the connectors and seams then inject away. But i wouldnā€™t recommend doing this, sounds like a mess

11 Likes

Might have some heat drawbacks too, who knows

1 Like

Yea, I want to be able to do some amount of maintenance on it, so potting the entire PCB in silicone or anything other than the original enclosure seems like overkill. I will absolutely be taking steps to waterproof the enclosure (Iā€™m getting a Plutonium from Bioboards, so it wonā€™t be that much extra work to make it highly water resistant) but I figured Iā€™d start with putting conformal coating on everything that doesnā€™t already have it. Thanks for the info and suggestions!

1 Like

Extra coat to keep you at peace?
ā€œNever better served than by ourselvesā€

1 Like

Iā€™ll most likely end up doing that haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Deodand @Blasto

Second UART eta? :pray:

2 Likes

Sorry, I am not sure.

1 Like

What is the cable on the right side (black, red, white) good for?

1 Like

Ppm remote receiver

1 Like

Thanks. Does that mean I do not need to connect this cable if I plan on using the Wand remote, since this works via NRF and the Stormcore 60D already has a NRF52 module intergrated? So I just need to connect the power button and that is it?