LACROIX Stormcore ESC and iOS app info

No difference. Just as risky.

3 Likes

What’s the ERPM Limit on a 100D?

3 Likes

@rey8801 okay so I took the pack to a PC repair shop near me and had a guy attach the xt90 this was his work

I tugged on it and wiggled it around in the shop and it was holding well, still measuring 40 volts out of it.
Plugged it in and it wasn’t working so I tried what @Ericnfla suggested and measured the voltage while under load and it was dropping to like 7 volts when I was pressing the switch

ah ok so something happened inside the battery. I would say a broken weld or something. Can also be the bms but I am afraid you need to open it and inspect it. If you are not familiar with batteries pay a lot of attention on where you cut the heat shrink because if you cut through something is gonna be really bright in the room :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With 18s I don’t think you’ll will need 4wd… Unless you’re a big guy 220+ or have a lot hills to climb…

1 Like

Need is a relative term.

7 Likes

For stabilty in equal pull to prevent floating at high speed, and of course higher top speed and torque. Need is not the right word here i guess.
any input on motors trucks and deck for such a build? 18s 4wd ? DD or belt ?

Build it 2wd with the biggest 18s that you can fit then decide… Avoid the complexity if you can… If must go 4wd enjoy the torque that will have you scared to go more than 1/4 throttle of the line lol… Imho the biggest advantage of 4wd is the grip and and brakes.

4 Likes

I never said a need leads to sane choices.

1 Like

Pretty sure at some point a cashed up individual here is going to run 4x 100D in dual parallel driving 4x 80100s on one board. Pretty inevitable if you ask me.

9 Likes

I think @Chibatterysystems pretty much did this.

5 Likes

I agree… Every year what was once overkill becomes the new norm…

2 Likes

Except it wasn’t Stormcore and it wasn’t dual parallel.

1 Like

Well I sure discovered some issues😉
Considering the response from the Lacroix team before I shared this incident, I haven’t seen or been told of any changes in production due to the fact that I discovered some faults… Do you have insider knowledge about hardware change?

Hence the “pretty much” and not “already did exactly this.” :laughing:

2 Likes

Sorry is posting these pics bad form nowadays like would I be flaunting my Stormcore wealth too much or

:stuck_out_tongue:

27 Likes

You do seem to have an :eye: problem?

(I)

You ok?

Hey guys, sorry haven’t been as present here lately. A lot of changes going on in my personal life and needed to step away for a bit to get back to myself. Anyways been better this week and getting back at it. Did a bunch of testing today regarding the shutdown at high temp and identified the issue.

There is a diode in series with the switch and when this diode heats up its the reverse leakage current increases and creates a false positive on the switch being pressed. So the esc sees the switch as being held in and shuts itself down. There is a pretty big variance in the units I have tested, some not seeing the button pressed at all some as low as 88C in the units I am testing.

During our beta testing it was fairly uncommon for our internal test units to get this warm (our motors tended to heat quicker) and the ones that did must have been lucky and had better performing diodes. In future orders we will be swapping diodes (old right, left new)

But for now simply disabling the power switch being pressed in firmware when over 65 degrees completely eliminates the issue. The only inconvenience being if you end a ride with the ESC quite hot you may need to simply let it shut itself down through timeout or wait a couple minutes for the switch to come down in temperature.

I’ll talk with Vedder about how to get this released in a timely fashion. We may simply send out a patched temporary firmware while we wait for the next firmware version to be ready for release.

I do apologize that this issue made it through testing. All we can do is keep improving. There is also a few issues with specific motors/voltages/setups but this is more relevant to the state of current VESC firmware than stormcore alone and it is something Vedder and I will continue to push forward with better automated calibration, detection and parameter selection.

I’m sorry to see that sawyer hurt himself while testing. Unfortunately life has really been hammering me lately and I’ve dropped a few balls that I was juggling. I was unable to help guide him in getting their setup dialed as for whatever reason it seemed particularly problematic. Hopefully we can continue to get more and more motors running smoothly and efficiently without any faults etc. The majority of motors we have tested internally seem to run great but please always exercise caution and pad up when testing new builds.

There are always going to be challenges when releasing a new product more broadly and we are trying to take a slow ramping approach so that nothing overwhelms us. Thank you guys for hanging in there with us while we get everything dialed.

55 Likes

@Deodand can you give us an idea of what combos (motors/voltage/kv) that are questionable right now so that we don’t make the same mistake?

2 Likes

Most of the 140-190 kV 63xx motors and 12-20s and have been tested stable. Direct drive motors are generally low kv and easy to drive. Some of the giant motors in specialty stuff have given us some problems and some random motors here and there.

10 Likes