Lacroix Introduces: The Barrel

Amen brother. ESN was fucking borne of outrage, dissent and melodrama. Blessed be the naysayer, but our newly resident Acedeck shill has yet to bring anything of any interest or value.

@DerelictRobot - help me understand those mounts. The single bolt on the backside locks/unlocks the tensioner. The larger bolt protruding from the bottom of the mount adds or releases tension. Is there any spring involved now?

3 Likes

This seems like such a good buy compared to every thing else in this price range.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes. You got it. Single bolt in in the side locks in the maximum CTC distance and then the mega-grub fine tunes the spring tension. Here’s it with the single bolt opened up:

Pretty slick design - I put it up there with the Hoyt motor mounts in terms of quality/usefulness.

13 Likes

Looking pretty sick. Slap a removable top mount pack for extended range rides and you’re set.

Almost wish they would have just planned for an aux pack like that.

That’s pretty sick, I could imagine that making belts last longer too if you got a pebble stuck in the belt, maybe the spring would absorb the additional tension and keep the belt from insta snapping

1 Like

I believe the spring only sets initial tension, then you lock the mount with the side bolt. Otherwise, you’d have massive belt skipping on acceleration and braking.

9 Likes

Oh duh that makes sense lol

It would be pretty cool if there was a secondary spring with a very high spring rate that only compressed when something was lodged in the belt, but I’m not sure how doable that is with the torque we apply to these things

2 Likes

First review ?

2 Likes

I have a Zeus right next to me, damn the Barrel looks short. not sure how I’d feel with my legs so close together

2 Likes

Yeah, your mother said that feels so strange.

(Sorry)

12 Likes

I knew that was coming, just not that quick…damn it! everything I say is dirty

1 Like

@Tony_Stark You’re gonna be selling a lot of those motor adapter plates :joy:

Probably not. 74’s about max the power you’re getting from a 4P battery, not sure anyone will be upgrading immediately.

1 Like

I’d imagine the order is: tension spring, set motor mount with side-bolt while assembled for baseline, fine tune spring tension. nope @MacKeeper28 was correct initially.

Unfortunately these have been paperweights until very recently because I’m a terrible tester :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, so you’re saying the mounts are sitting on spring tension during operation?

1 Like

Nope, I was wrong- actually you had it correct the first time. I just went through and tightened everything up.

It’s tension spring first, then lock it into place with a single bolt.

I was under the impression the spring tensioning allowed small amount of play, but that bolt locks everything firmly into place. Things I would know had I bothered to install these before chiming in with assumption. Ha

3 Likes

Gotcha, that makes more sense :joy: now if only someone could come up with equally slick auto backlash for gears…

2 Likes

lol I don’t think that is possible. Gears should not be pressed against each other, they must meet at the perfect collision of their teeth

1 Like

I’m strongly considering buying this board for funsies :sweat_smile:

2 Likes