Kaly Out of Buisness?

Screenshot/link for posterity?

6 Likes

Were Kaly decks made here in the US? They look very similar to the ones from Trampa.

3 Likes

Composition-wise theyā€™re very different from trampa.

4 Likes

I think very early on but their from China now

2 Likes

Refurbished, fire resistant kaly 2.0 for sale, $3000 cause you canā€™t get them anymore

9 Likes

What makes you say that? Canā€™t see them being much different at allā€¦

Kaly was carbon/innegra skinned fibreglass, trampa is basalt skinned fibreglass

9 Likes

Iā€™m basing that off of people (Ernesto) getting upset when you compare them

4 Likes

No screens from the guy who said Ernesto said this but a supposed copy and paste of what Ernesto wrote him.

4 Likes

It would be nice not to lose access to these. They look really cool.

1 Like

A local (Houston area) guy was killed last summer when he came off his board and sustained a brain injury. He was well loved by the local Onewheel group and showed up at a lot of their rides. On the group page, someone posted a statement from his family saying that he was on life-support after ā€œfalling off his electric skateboard that goes 40mph.ā€ I felt that it was insensitive to ask for details, so I left it alone. Because of the board he owned, Iā€™d reached out a couple of times never hearing back, but I knew two things about him. One was that he took a lot of good natured grief about refusing to wear a helmet, and the other is that he owned a Kaly. An engineer buddy of mine works very closely with many manufactures of motor vehicles to provide performance data through crash recreation and testing. They then provide expert whiteness testimony in civil litigation cases when itā€™s appropriate. He winced when I told him of the incident and the quote I referenced above.
Now this is WILD speculation on my part, because there is evidence that Ernesto was struggling prior to this, but I wonder if legal issues are the root cause of his departure? True, a lot of the evidenced problems can be blamed on supply chain issues. Failure to meet delivery estimates, parts shortages, blow out pricing on what inventory is actually available, and a head-in-the-sand response to outcry from customers, all speak to cash flow issues and the inability to keep your vendors fed as much as anything. I still canā€™t help but wonder if what happened with that guy last summer down here in Texas has anything to do with it.

9 Likes

I suspect its something entirely different. Iā€™ve got my money on taxes. Many small businesses/everyday Americans dont have a fucking clue how taxes work. Judging by how he operated his business being effectively a one man show im sure he kept his own books didnt do something right got audited and got poped for a huge tax liability.

Litterally everythings speculation at this point but I do not think he cared about liability in regards to customer safety. The dude effectively sold products built by minors and randos in the NYC E skate scene. The quality of his products has always been suspect. Spend 5mins scrolling on the facebook group. Even before the XLR it was huge swings of hit and miss quality.

5 Likes

It is such a bummer to see.

It must be so hard being an esk8 vendorā€¦

14 Likes

NYC is a bitch with taxes. They really hate small businesses here. Starting an LLC is nearly 2 grand, plus upkeep. Thereā€™s also evidence of Ernesto piling up money in an offshore account, which im not gonna get into as its mostly hearsay and anecdotal, but that does make sense. Kaly has been on a decline for abt a year now, so its not much of a surprise to me.

7 Likes

Unfortunate it happened but the guy wore every other protective gear EXCEPT a helmet. And he was an ICU nurse which he of all ppl should know better. This was on him. Also board parts degrade over time, some faster than other depending on the owner and how they treat the board. So there is always a chance a board will throw you no matter how pristine they maybe. Not to mention houston roads are not exactly pearly smooth. As you know this is why Iā€™m a stiff about helmets. I refuse to ride with anyone that donā€™t wear it simply bc i donā€™t feel like giving first aid to blunt force head trauma WHEN it happens. Safety gear is suppose to allow u to get up and continue on riding after a spill. But of course ppl have egos.

6 Likes

This is me, in reverse. I wear a helmet and nothing else. Usually not full-face, either.

But the helmet is super-important.

7 Likes

Same here. Though on longer ā€œrecreationalā€ rides I throw on a thick abrasion-resistant jacket.

Always :pray:t4:

10 Likes

It is worth noting that if you are a small business and make barely enough to support yourself, then you donā€™t need to worry about audits. Also book keeping is stupidly easy by just having a separate bank account for the business and only using it for business. That way you can just check your bank records and use those as your books. Maybe throw the entries into a spread sheet for easy viewing.

I have no idea if his issue was an audit or not though. Just trying to clarify that it isnā€™t hard to keep records as a small business.

I am pretty sure that is the standard cost for one. Been a while since I looked at the details of one though and I never personally needed to bother with it. you can run a sole proprietorship and not have to pay for anything extra paperwork wise

3 Likes

This can backfire; I donā€™t recommend it.

1 Like

I paid ~$300 to incorporate my business in Oregon, and most of that was fees to the registered agent service to do a bunch of the bullshit paperwork for me. Unless Oregon is an outlier, $2k seems high. Sorry NY.

4 Likes

hey! high school was over rated! i dropped out look at me, OH! OK ! CHECK,yes i get it ,carry on with your fancy degrees and building your own working boards.

3 Likes