Kai's mad science lab

Yeah Ive seen the exway do it. Interesting, and I’d rather have the ability and not need it, but i can’t think of many real world applications.

1 Like

Working your way down an all-you-can-eat buffet counter in Vegas? :thinking:

2 Likes

You could kinda use it like a “hoverboard.”

2 Likes

The most reliable way is to measure the truck angle directly, low pass filter it and use that to drive steering inputs.

I have found the best way to do this is with hall effect sensor and have a mod which allows this on the AIRS.

The problem with doing vectored steering on our boards is that it doesn’t help with grip.

On a car the fixed center of mass means that when you turn the grip shifts to the outside edge where you can apply more power to bring you tighter into the turn.

But on our boards, as you lean into a turn your weight shifts to the inside edge, as does your grip. This means that when you shift power to the outside edge you lose traction and therefore power.

Only real world use I’ve found for vectored /skid steer is moving my board around without having to drag it.

7 Likes

So, what I gather from this, is that there may actually be some benefit from mounting your trucks backwards due to weight distribution?
I’m the only guy I’ve ever heard of doing such a thing, and only ever with my back truck. But if your steering were inverted, wouldn’t it be more viable? Would obviously go against all my skate skills and muscle memory, though. Hmmm…

Possibly but I think it would be sketchy AF. Having trucks mounted backwards has the potential to create crazy instability.

1 Like

The only way I’ve done it is with the back one reversed, but almost immobilized. Makes for an interesting ride. The front guides you, and the back slides out ever so slightly. Very drifty.

1 Like

There is a video somewhere of an in-line vectored wheel design that I always thought would make a cool concept board. Would be laid out like a “hoverboard” and ridden forward like an esk8 but with the ability to turn and “slide” sideways like a snowboard. Will see if I can find the video.

EDIT:

Oh yeah look at this and imagine it in longboard format

I’m thinking remote to move forward in the long direction, like our current boards.

Lean left to turn left, but reversing pressure on the rear foot would turn that curve into a side.

4 Likes

Oh man that is satisfying to watch move around, nay, dance around.

2 Likes

How bout as a hub spacer? I’d like to see how a wheel with variable contact patch and diameter behaves…

1 Like

@Kai use these 25cm/26cm electric aluminum alloy dual springs cushion skateboard trucks light flexible stable|Skate Board| - AliExpress

2 Likes

Tearing down some old boosted motors. I have an idea for em. Noticed that there’s a removeable plug:

Seemingly for if you want to run thicker phase wires, instead of the attached higo.

1 Like

Bruh.

Thanks for the idea @Arzamenable :rofl: it gave my old boosted tech a purpose.

Anyone got one more boosted drivetrain I can get for the low?

3 Likes

Is there gonna be enough axle with a wheel on it?

1 Like

Yeah it only takes up about 4mm extra actually.

1 Like

I just noticed that my tv stand has super soft black cone bushings holding up the glass shelf.
I don’t have time to clean my room enough to extract them ATM, but I am intrigued.

1 Like

So Ive ridden enough on it now to report back on consumption. On the granda plata, 3ds gears; with Hoyt 5 inch tires, I average 17-20wh/km. With flash airless swapped in, just in the front, that goes up to 20-24. So not significantly worse. I like how it feels and how it looks better this way so it’s staying like that for now.

1 Like

Wanna sell me your other 2 flash wheels?

Nahh if my motor keys ever fuckin show up all 4 are going on the Evo til dude down at the marina finally has time to mod my infinity hubs. He ain’t charging me but $40 so I told him take his time

How are you getting them modded? Wider?