Kai's mad science lab

this is where we do the crimes

Gonna use this thread to document any strange esk8 experiments I do. So you can learn from my insanity.

Today, we’re running mismatched wheels, and fucking around with ramping times and throttle curves.

Turns out 20 second negative ramping time feels weeeeeird. Who’d have guessed? I believe @Venom121212 described it as “peanut butter throttle” which is accurate. I don’t think the vesc is actually doing 20s negative ramp. In practice, it feels more like maybe 8 seconds of uneven deceleration. And it fucks with my brakes. I can stop on a dime, still, due to .2s positive ramping, but, I can’t let OFF the brakes immediately.

I also put flash 5 inch airless wheels on the front end with Hoyt 5 inch pneumatics in the back. I’ll update with how it affects range when I figure that out. I don’t see it having much effect, though, as they aren’t the drive wheels. Ride feel wise, love it. Doesn’t get caught and spin out in the grass at all anymore. Definitely more comfortable. Eats up bumps that’d shake me a little before. Corners great. And I think it looks pretty ok, too.

Also on the menu this week: tried bleaching some PU wheels. Nothing happened. Gonna try again with less water added. Also, gonna see if unicorn spit works to stain PU. It seems to work on damn near anything. Gotta finish up some work on an enclosure I chopped up and glued back together at the size I needed as well, and attempt a couple Hoyt puck mods I’ve had on my mind(no details, you’ll see) plus do some finish work on the poastmote shell.

Oh, and I’m gonna add extra springs to the triggers on my maytech, if I can figure out how when I open it up. I want dat high tension trigger.

14 Likes

this is me following the insane racoon post

3 Likes

This thread is my excuse to be extra crazy.

Got damm I could probably throw this thing in the ocean and it’d be fine.

Fair bit of room in here, too. Wonder if I could somehow install a flashlight…

5 Likes

Want my torn apart one? I ripped the battery out of mine. Took a bunch of potting compound with it. Wrecked the reciever too.

Nahh I’m good lol.

It ain’t pretty but it fuckin works.

2 Likes

Extra tension on the gas trigger: excellent. But I moved the spring, and added a piece of a zip tie inside it as a guide. Forgot to take a pic while it was open.
I ripped the other one off. Not enough space. Was limited to 65% and also made an annoying noise.
Next: messing with the puck!

1 Like

I fucked up. Lmao. Woops. Need a new lefty poastmote. Lookin at you, @lifeofmanyhobbies

Dual drive, but both drives on the heelside.

GO

2 Likes

You know what I just noticed today? Somehow, I wear out my toeside tires significantly faster than my heelside.

I want to add a light to the bottom so it looks like a needler from halo

1 Like

Bet you can make that fit a remote pretty easily x)

I made a top mount for it but the waterproof coating doesn’t like epoxy without some sanding.

3 Likes

That tracks. Could maybe rework it to be bolt on, or a wraparound type thing…

1 Like

I support this idea

1 Like

download (2)

1 Like

Unicorn spit on polyurethane: does not stain. However, it does soak into every tiny crack, allowing you to see EXACTLY how damaged your wheels are. Pretty cool. Can immediately tell that this wheel was about to chunk out, actually.

Currently have a brand new rubber tire sitting in pure bleach. This should, in theory, soften the rubber. Or destroy it. We’ll see. Will compare when I pull it out tomorrow.

Also, currently reading up on anodization. Seems easy enough actually, but I’m not willing to drop cash on the supplies right now. It’s like $600 for a full kit, or $300 if you shop around some for everything. But, definitely interested, as a it would be more cost effective. Maybe some day.

1 Like

I got an idea: 4wd but instead of front and back go side to side, have a reverse switch that only reverses one side so you can tank turn.

3 Likes

That sounds like it’d be far simpler to do purely as software. Would be cool, though.
I’ve been pretty interested in motor assisted turns(as in, spinning the wheels on the outside of your turn faster) for a while, but haven’t a clue how to implement it.

well you can make custom scripts for VESC, implement them into a custom FW and have a toggle like on the spintend Uni1

or use an IMU to sense when turning

you just gotta learn to program STM32

I am pretty sure I can’t. :rofl: I’m a pretty shit coder, can’t even lie. Lil bit of html and c++, but I honestly can’t write anything useful.