Kai's mad science lab

Well, the bleach that I have this tire in is now cloudy. So it definitely did something…

Post results I wanna see whatup

No visible difference. Feels harder, but that’s the opposite of what bleaching your tires does…

1 Like

It should be possible to make it work with basic analog circuits, if you would be more comfortable with that. If you could make the truck actuate a potentiometer, you could use it to adjust a 0V to 5V volt signal from the receiver up and down for the ESC on each side.

1 Like

51vp7q1ireL

1 Like

With the new steering/secondary control in vesc5.3 this is even more possible.

Inclinometer/multi-axis accelerometer/IMU chip to measure deck tilt and report that to an MCU which then issues the needed ESC commands to alter wheel speeds.

4 Likes

This probably wouldn’t work with any dual VESCs with a single MCU. Would need 4x single fully can networked. Might be able to use a unified VESC on each side of the board though, as opposed to front and rear.

2 Likes

You can substitute the bushings of a normal truck with springs and see how that goes… I’m sure turn would be shit but will it bounce?

What about adding springs as wheel spacers?

Hear me out, in the front truck, add a spring around the axle instead of a solid spacer, between the hanger and the wheel. This would not let the wheels move completely freely in the axle but allow a small side to side wheel movement primarily on turns.

Sounds sketchy and will probably feel sketchy, but who knows?

(Also, i find that in grip training equipment you can find cool springs)

5 Likes

Not sure.
I assumed an ESC setup would be used that was able to work with the approach I described. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s a cleaner solution overall, but i would worry about riding on cambered roads. If the angle is measured with respect to gravity, wouldn’t that make it try to steer you downhill? Measuring with respect to the trucks would be ideal

2 Likes

Ooohhhh….good point…agreed!
I would recommend hall effect sensors though as they are impervious to water and some dirt.

Or get crazy and use time-of-flight sensors at the edges of the board to measure the distance to the ground for either side. :joy: Probably too much “noise” and not enough change in distance to give you enough resolution but an interesting approach.

I rock 84a krank, I’m all about the carve, so “spring theory” isn’t something I’d pursue. But I sure love having some of you big brains working on the details.
I imagine on most of our race tracks, powered turns would be a pretty decent advantage.

3 Likes

And how…followed by the immediate banning of it everywhere. :joy:

Or the adoption of it as the new norm :rofl: there is no option 3.

1 Like

I’m wondering if tank-steer spin-in-place could be done?
LOL, can you imagine the looks you would get?

Imagine… dudes racing, and suddenly busts a tank turn LOL

Wow we really did a mind meld on that one lmao

1 Like

Powered mid wheels that hang off the ground til you lean.

The bajaboard 4wd boards can do this. As well as the exway 4wd i believe.

2 Likes

2 Likes