Just got a Meepo V3 - and it’s pretty good

Many of their boards actually use hobbywing now. While it’s not a VESC by any means, it’s decent for what it is

If you’ve been following Meepo closely, they only use the Hobbywing ESC on select boards which they’ve phased out and went back using their trusty LingYi ESC citing that the “performance” of the Hobbywing ESCs was not up to snuff (weak acceleration/braking).

1 Like

FYI :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve actually read from experienced Meepo riders and some DIY guys that the latest iteration of at least the Meepo version of the ling Yi ESC is as smooth as the hobbywing except with more functionality including adjustable braking power and push to start.

3 Likes

So meepo comes with brake activated lights now…? Not bad. Not bad at all.

2 Likes

Oh my bad, I was under the impression that the updated mini 2 and such were switching to hobbywing. Is the lingyi really that bad?

Not so bad that it’s unrideable but not something you want to go back to once you’ve been spoiled by VESC type boards.

2 Likes

True. But like @jxslepton says above, the newer iterations of LingYi are WAY better. I own one (ded) and it was better than the Hobbywing by a decent margin.

4 Likes

If you are even slightly considering hub motors for your most powerful board in the world.

Its been tried.

It failed.

Go to builders

5 Likes

Their new Interceptor is hubs, I believe.

1 Like

Watched a V3 video, so it comes down to bat shit boring?

Apologies @BillGordon!

1 Like

True and the most powerful hub motor boards so far with the latest Lingyi custom ESC. It is now truly better as an whole package than HW. Not as good as VESC ofc.

1 Like

Thank you for this important post.

1 Like

I mean granted, I’ve never been on a hub board, but thinking after 6374’s it might be a little underwhelming.

1 Like

No, it is. I still ride my Meepo hubs once or twice a month, and leaving dual 6374 and coming back to it is quite an adjustment.

2 Likes

I will always have a soft spot for hubs. It’s certain that they do not offer the same power available from other drive options, but they are just so simple and stealth.

I’ve been skating since i was a kid and the harsh ride of thin urethane on hubs is kinda nostalgic, feels like what I have always been accustomed to.

Everybody seems to want the softest, plushest, bump and vibration free ride… i like it raw, straight up, no vas.

14 Likes

Dualomo (same motor factory as Backfire according to @jeffwuneo ) uses a custom Lingyi for the V1s - the pull is insane - too much for normal users - in fact I can attest to the fact that they are as powerful as the direct drives. I don’t know what I am missing. The sad thing is the heat goes to the ESC and not the motors.

3 Likes

I can a test to that same smoothness more power

2 Likes

Yes, hub motors can be very fast and thrilling indeed. Everybody who had the chance to ride an Raptor V2.1 or an AWD Meepo knows this.
They are faster than most boards between 2k-3k like Evovle or Metro, but cheaper, stealthier and easier to maintain + a ton of features for the new models which uses the latest Lingyi ESC. Just to mention a few awesome features like push to start, RC light control, 4 brake + 4 speed modes, cruise control, ODO, Vmax, trip mileage, choose between AWD, FWD and BWD, and many, many more.

6 Likes

Thing I enjoyed most about hubs was the breaking, I never feel the same breaking on belts and even on gear drives , can’t wait for my @jeffwuneo ones :slight_smile:

2 Likes