Just built my first board but I’m not really happy with it

That deck is actually indestructible and amzing

Ive used it for over 2 years now and just finally switch it out. Its most likely not the deck causing any problems.

3 Likes

Got enough tape there?

3 Likes

Is there a difference between the IWONDER Cloud Wheels and the Slick Revolution Foamies?

Nah, I’m 90% it’s the same factory and just redistributed. Pretty sure iWonder is the original OEM though

2 Likes

Well its been an interesting three months since I last updated my build. It has changed a lot, I don’t even think it counts as the same build but whatever its still my “First Build.” I want to thank @ZachTetra for being really helpful along the way and hooking me up with a great deal that really got me starting in to the world of true DIY esk8. I started my journey wanting a functioning board for the bare minimum cost. I soon realized that hubs on a chinese esc sucks. So I came to you guys to help me out, and looking back I realize that I knew nothing at the time. I feel like three months ago I literally knew nothing. I have learned so much during this process it is amazing, and I feel like I’m still scratching the surface of DIY esk8. So I’m gonna stop talking and show you guys what I have done.

I’m running the following:
2x TB 6355 190kv Motors
FSESC 4.20 Plus
TB 218mm Trucks
TB 160mm AT wheels 18:62 Gearing
4x Turnigy 5s 5000mah 30c Lipos in 10s10ah config
Freeride Deck from customskateboards.com
VX1 remote

The build: I decided to design my own enclosure and 3D Print it out of PETG. It has 7 modules that are all 100mm except for the first and last ones. It is segmented so that it flexes nicely with the deck. The batteries, the esc, and the BMS each get their own segment. They are all attached to the deck with M5 bolts with rivet threaded inserts epoxied into the deck. Other than that the BMS and ESC wiring was pretty simple to do. I wanted head/tail lights so I got HV buck converters and some 1500 lumen flashlights and 3D printed 18650 placeholders that have wires going to the terminals of the “battery.”
The tail light is just wired into the same circuit and it had 1 switch to control all three lights which I find is nice. The buck converters do get quite warm when running on full power on the Lights which I think is pulling 4A at 4.2 volts so I put some heat sinks on them but I doubt it will matter.

The ride: I honestly think it rides pretty well, given the 18:62 gearing on the AT tires its still very powerful in my opinion. I’m running 60A motor max and 60A/-12A on the battery. The tires are a huge upgrade from the hub motors, the ride is like a dream. Gravel and construction debris on the road is no longer a problem. For the range I got around 12 miles riding fairly aggressive but I can probably increase that by taking it easy. Max speed is around 32 mph, which was oddly scary compared to me riding 60mph+ on a snowboard and not being scared at all.

Overall I think its a great “first build” for a 15 year old. I’m hoping to get into more advanced building and started planning a 21700 pack for an upgrade ones my lipos die from the number of charge cycles I’m hoping to put on this thing. I’m declaring my build as done but as @ZachTetra said,

I’m hoping I’ll never have to leave this great community and awesome hobby. If you guys have any recommendations for me please let me know, I’m still very much a beginner.

Edit: I hope my grammar aint too bad I’m too tired to read through all of it again.

11 Likes

Aww I feel special :slight_smile:. But you’re one of us now Joey! May Skatan bless you with fast wheels!

4 Likes

Down the rabbit hole he goes…
Awsome to see! How do you charge the lipos if they are bolted inside? Internal bms from the beginning?
Cool to see the budget change up a little, awsome conversion!

1 Like

Yep I made an adapter to take the four 5s balance plugs and turn them into a single 10s balance plug for the BMS because of their being two pairs of packs that are wired in parallel.

1 Like

This is so cool. Just curious, how many plys did you use for the deck, just 7?

1 Like

Yep just 7.

I weigh 70kg and its moderately flexy, I think any more plys would make it too stiff.

Yea thats what I thought, thanks

1 Like

What type of deck are you using ? If it’s a dropthrough you could mount the trucks on the bottom. You’ll sacrifice functionality but it’ll get you a good bit more clearence and you could also throw on some squishy riser pads or washers.

1 Like

Are you using any risers with this deck, or do you not have any clearance issues?

1 Like

No risers used. Never had any clearance issues.

1 Like

Ah nice, I might just throw some shock pads underneath there for my deck, but thanks