JUMPINATOR | Trampa lightweight build

I thought I was the only one that marked wires with “number of blips” with a paint marker, just like that.

4 Likes

Yeah :metal:

4mm

And 10mm, also useful for 10mm motor shafts or some trucks.

4 Likes

Just returned from the maiden ride :metal:

I had to walk back home because both motor pulleys got loose despite 4 grub screws and tons of Loctite. The Fsescs 4.12 got quite hot and 2 times hit the thermal cutofff (outside temp 28°C) but the performance is not bad at all for 6364 motors, I was concerned because of the high internal resistance but they didn’t get hot. I was riding and jumping at BMX track and in dirt park.

I’m really missing MBS F5 bindings, heelstraps and elastomere dampers.

The difference compared to my regular MTB (which is 6kg heavier) is not dramatic when jumping, it feels a bit more instable because of the higher stand and more narrow urban carve deck. But when rotating or lifting the board it feels very good and light. I need more rides to get used to it.

BTW the total weight of the board is 11.6kg (25.6lbs) :heart_eyes:

So here the missing updates…

First of all I highly recommend to use shrink tube with glue inside the tube, it is soooo much better and very safe.

I desoldered the 12 AWG wires of the Fsescs, the solder they use is really awful, bad quality. Anyhow I soldered long 14 AWG wires with 3.5mm bullets (keep it light) and then 14AWG battery wires to the anti-spark switch without connectors.

Sensor wire extensions, I made them 6 pin (ready for future motors with temp sensor).

The Fsesc were shrinked with transparent shrink tube and glued to the ABS sheet, also added a charge port.

7.5A fuse

And an on/off switch for the anti-spark.

The BMS is only glued to the right battery, the middle battery has foam on top and the BMS is held down with a glued stripe of flexible silicone sheet.

A small hint for wire managment, I often glue shrink tube with super glue to the surface below, it perfectly holds the wire in place without gluing the wire itself. Furthermore the cable can be removed anytime.

I’ve used 5 or 6 of them and nothing moves.

I’ve added self-adhesive velcro to hold the dust/dirt cover.

Cheap ultra flexible silicone sheet 0.004mm :grin:

Needs additional CA (super glue) to keep the velcro sticking.

For the edges I glued a stripe of silicone sheet to one edge and velcro to the other, easy and pretty splash proof now.

Tada!

I like the slim look

20 Likes

Rich she is gorgeous mate.

Also I am impressed with how light you got her, great job man. Looking forward to some YouTube content around this

1 Like

I’m currently right at 11.9kg with my Holypro build, but running two 6Ah batteries, and two SK3 6374 motors. You going 12s and getting this light is impressive @rich!

1 Like

Looking good, really stealth, apart from the red motors and yellow tires :rofl:

Are you running FOC on the 4.12? I have one sitting in a box for a few months that I plan to use soon

1 Like

Lol, this thread prompted me to weigh all my boards.

Tayto 8.5kg
Evo 15.0kg
Trampa 17.4kg

4 Likes

She’s a bit scruffy after the first ride and told me I have to clean her.

That’s really ultra-light :ok_hand:
If I remember right you run 8s so the battery is the key.

A 6374 SK3 or SK8 weight about 1kg so they are heavy. My 6364 weights 0.75kg. For comparison, closed 6374 Maytech is 0.85kg and APS 6355 0.55kg. Originally I wanted to use the APS 6355 for the Jumpinator, so the total weight would be 11.2kg instead of 11.6kg.

Then I saved some weight with the 3D ABS pulleys. One piece is 0.044kg compared to 0.15-0.2kg for an aluminium pulley. Also the urban carver deck is about 0.4kg lighter than MTB HolyPro deck.

I think it’s not possible to build a lighter board than 11.2kg with 8", dual motors and 12s (and bindings).

You forgot the cracked deck :joy:

Yes but with lower settings (motor and batt max 45A). Let’s see if they hold in 12s and FOC. Which V4.12 do you have? My Maytech ones didn’t like FOC at all.

The biggest difference IMO between Vesc4 and 6 is the temperature (and reliability). With 6374 motors I don’t feel a big difference in performance but the V4 gets hot pretty quick. I can ride forever with Vesc6 in closed case and outside temp of 35°C, I’ve never had thermal cutoffs. Ironically the 6384 motors getting very hot (on the board with V6) and on the Jumpinator the motors stay cool but the V4.12 not. First world problems…

Interesting that your board is lighter with 12s7p than my Dirt Machine with 6p (17.6kg). I guess it’s the heavy Pelicase 1150 (0.86kg) and the 6384 motors (above 1kg each).

The Urban Burro (Trampa urban carver with 7" wheels, APS 6355 and 10s4p) weights 11.4kg.

1 Like

Don’t forget the mini instead of the normal gear drives.

1 Like

True, I think the difference is about 0.5kg

1 Like

The same as you

I’ve run a single 4.12 on my first board, the overheating was a real pain, all the time in any small hill, or on flat it it was windy

If I were you I would put a piece of aluminum with the mosfets touching it with a bit of thermal paste, I want to try that, it’s not perfect since the black part of the transistor is a poor conductor, but should help a bit

1 Like

Well let’s start with this. I found out that jumping in reverse is difficult for me :rofl:

Of course I shot better jumps on different locations, too but editing takes some time. Soon to come!

11 Likes

Great start! You can see from the vid you are finding her lighter to jump with

2 Likes

Definitely feels lighter, also to carry.

Today I was riding both boards at the same locations, that was interesting. I rode between the spots as 6 wheel drive, the Jumpinator is just hold by a strap on my shoulder, very comfortable up to maybe 25km/h. Can you imagine how people looked at me? :joy:

13 Likes

Other people carry a spare battery with them, you take a fully spare board with you :joy:

10 Likes

Awesome stuff man! The board looks great! And vids are neat, I gave ya a sub, I’m building up the nerve to do some jumping hahaha you and a few others I’ve been seeing make it seem SO easy lol but I love the fail vids because it lets me know you guys are still just regular people :rofl::rofl: I just got to get over the “this will hurt” mindset and just send it!

3 Likes

So Rich I see you are on springs. Do you prefer springs or Elastos for jumping/off road?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

3 Likes

Shhh, missed that. I would still like to talk about the merits of both

Also @taz elastomere - I dont know what to believe anymore :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I definitely prefer elastomere dampers for riding no matter on which terrain and normal jumping.
I had the feeling that when jumping higher and riding faster in dirt park it would be better to have stiffer dampers for more stability that’s why I thought about using springs. Actually I ride (jump) with yellow dampers but should switch to green ones but dislike the bad turning radius.

@Andy87 my toes are hurting from jumping today, guess I have to buy F5 bindings and heelstraps.

5 Likes