Janux-esk8 Aluminum Hubs to fit Direct Drive

Janux Quattro hubs holes were machined after anodizing.

Quattro 4.25" hubs were completely machined (including mounting holes) then sent for anodizing. This created a layer of anodizing dye on the surface hence making the holes smaller. Can easily be remedied using a 5.8mm drill bit to scrape off deposited dye layer.

2 Likes

Yep, sounds like an easy fix. Will try soon. Thanks for explaining. However, perhaps you may want to consider following the same procedure for the Janux Quattro 4.25’’ as for Janux Quattro in order to avoid the drilling part for your fellow eskaters in the future, i.e. first anodizing then machining.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Did not realized it how much the anodizing dye layer could deposit such a thick coating on the parts.

4 Likes

Just fixed it using a 5.8 mm drill bit - fairly quick and easy.

3 Likes

Thanks @Arzamenable! I have been looking all over to see if evolve tires will fit these hubs. They look great! Out of curiosity, have you tried the 6" evolve tires with them? How do the 7" run? Are you using eLofty or TB?

@love2scoot
Evolve tires do not fit these hubs. The inside diameter is greatly different.

Don’t have a set of 6" evolve tires to confirm their fit, maybe my larger size hub? https://www.janux-esk8.com/product-page/janux-quattro-4-25-hubs-for-tbdd-or-elofty

:thinking: I had interpreted his photo above (with the Evolve tires) as mounted on the smaller Janux hubs. Looking again, it may be he has them mounted on the 4.25" wheels. @Janux-esk8 does that seem to be what’s in the picture?

After some sleuthing, it appears @Arzamenable bought the 4.25" hubs from you on or around Jan 17th according to his note here. With the shot above from 1/22, I’d say we are looking at the 7" evolve tires on the 4.25" hubs.

Aliexpress 6x2 Pneumatic

Evolve 6inch Tire

Ali hub and Evolve hub

Hope this helps.

Two sizes: 93mm and 74mm :point_down:

1 Like

93mm & 74mm diameters at the seating point of the tire. @esk8jpn any chance you could measure that same diameter on the evolve hubs?

Had the same thing. Waiting on 5.8mm drill bit to try and scrape off the dye layer. I have it a shot with a 5.9mm bit. It was not having it at all lol.

1 Like

OK, good news here (I think). After some Google-fu I tracked down this thread on the other forum.

Seems that Urban Treads and Evolve tires fit on SuperStars hubs. Since we know that Urban Treads work on the 93mm Janux hubs, it stands to reason that the 93mm hubs should fit the following tire options:

I’d say this is enough evidence to move forward with a purchase here.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if this space is normal ??

@Janux-esk8

1 Like

Alright- the 4.25" hubs / TB variant have been ordered. I will report back on:

• How these hubs fit to the new eLofty adapters (@visnu777 appears to have gotten them to work)
  • If the Evolve tires work with these hubs (they should based on the results above)

Thanks @Janux-esk8

1 Like

I wouldn’t think so… Definetly not the case for kegel PU wheels

1 Like

Yea idk it seems like the Tb kegel adapters are too long…

Results!

The hubs are in and I ordered a single 7" Evolve with which to test.

eLofty on Janux TB DD 4.25" Variant

The newest adapters which come with the eLofty drives have (5) pins. Out of the box these do not fit the hubs but after a very small bit of filing to clean out some of the anodized coating they slip in with a firm fit.

Evolve tires on Janux 4.25" hubs

Snug as a bug in a rug. They squeeze onto the hub with a nice tight fit. Picture below is without an inner-tube. The “purple” tire helps show the contrast to the black hub.

Since the Evolve 6" and 7" tires are designed to fit the same Evolve hub, both tires should be an option with the Janux 4.25" hubs.

Thanks @Janux-esk8 for these beautiful hubs.

9 Likes

By the way, what bearings are you running with these hubs? Any specific parts seem to be a better match? I’m going to assume built-in bearings will not work here?