Iwonder donut for meepo hubs

Ive often considered trying to mine this place to build a bot based on @b264 replies …starting to wonder if @b264 might already have this built :joy:

Its good you didnt , I suspect iwonder would have blamed it for weakening things - have you contacted them?

4 Likes

I emailed them but they have had time to reply yet. I’ll report back when they respond.

And 200 miles is 8 rides for me. If it took me 1 year to do that I would get a sad, but it is an indication of how hard im riding.

Wtf

What version hub motors are you using? The ones that just released recently or the ones from the V3?

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have been looking for replacement sleeves for some time too.
I have a board with four times V3 hub motors. Turns out that meepo doesn’t sell sleeves for them anymore so do you have alternative suggestions what fits the meepo V3 Hubs?

90mm v3 sleeves are available atm. 100mm were too but they are sold out.

Do you have experience with the 90mm at speed? The 100mm have some vibrations after around 45km/h

I think they are v3 hubs, if I remember correctly i got them just about the time the hurricane came out but i got them with the trucks and no
board. They are the 100mm ones. I didn’t have vibration issues with them until the donuts started breaking down.

In all honesty I don’t think they dissipate heat well enough to last with the cloud wheels… but I ride them hard on hills and fast for long distances. More metered use would probably be ok. Nothing kills a hub like 2000’ of elevation gain over 20 miles. Not a huge fan of their trucks either, one of the screws on the mounting plate is too close to the edge and cracks and they don’t consider it a manufacturer defect.

Sauce:

1 Like

Yes those are the V3 I got the same ones. If you run them 2wd you can’t expect to much. 4wd however they are great. What current are you running? I use 50A per motor. Continuous that would be way to much but since its a 4wd it only really uses like 10-20A continuous.

1 Like

I was running just 2 of them with the Meepo v3 esc, Hobbywing i think. I was going to try and put together a 4wd setup before the donuts died. The road conditions make running just the 100mm sleeves kind of hard on my feets. I need the larger diameter wheels for comfort reasons. I may just slap the thing together and ride it till it dies as I do really like the feel and stealth of the hubs… so quiet

3 Likes

currently working on a loaded vanguard direct drive build for similar reasons - I love a stealthy, low resistance ride… revel sells their DD motors for a great price if you want a good upgrade from the hubs. wheel options etcetc

2 Likes

They get hot fast

1 Like

Im pretty sure you can’t mount the direct drive drop through making the whole board higher. Ideally I would just like better Meepo V3 selves.

2 Likes

I got distracted and started putting all my parts and pieces together to see if I could make a running awd setup with my junk.

I just need to figure out some kind of enclosure, I’ll probably just slap some diamond plate on there and ride it lol.

1 Like

Quick reply from them. They are sending me replacements for the inner plastic that died. Good on them. Ill put them on this new setup and see if they hold up.

Hopefully they’ve got a better mix and it was just a batch problem. Ill replace the 4 sleeves on this new setup and see about breaking, I mean testing the new ones

7 Likes

Update: i have the new adapters from them and slapped them on for some more miles. Fit was really good, a bit snug but not tight and I didn’t need to hammer them on or anything. They just slide on with a bit of thumb pressure for the last 5mm or so.

I was asked if failure could have been my fault by a friend, having exposed them to some solvent. I only use bearing grease with teflon for the bearings, WD40 on exposed steel when it gets wet, and silicone oil on exposed steel after the WD40 flashes off. It could be as i am usually pretty generous with grease. I live adjacent to a rainforest so keeping things greased up is a must for me. This install i was very careful not to expose the plastic to any grease or solvents. Even cleaned everything that could come into contact with them some 99% iso and let everything fully dry before assembly. I cleaned the pu really well also.

I’m pretty confident they have not come in contact with any solvents or chemicals beyond road grime, which I’m cleaning off after every ride so i can inspect them. I got some cracks after the first ride…

By the third ride (70-80 miles) im getting chunks:

The replacements feel exactly the same as the old plastic, hard and shiny with little flex

2 Likes

Super lame… surprised they’re that brittle

Ya, kinda seems like the wrong plastic to me but im no expert. If they don’t offer some sort of solution I’ll probably beg one of my friends with a 3d printer to make something from tpu or some more flexible material so i can run the tires I have already. Though the cloud wheels are kinda overpriced, they do fill a niche thats kinda overlooked.

1 Like

the niche: making hubs sorta bearable on Seattle roads

1 Like

Just dont hit any of the brick or cobblestone roads, bout to lose a tooth without taking a spill

1 Like

Latest response from them, they are testing better materials and they want me to Guinea pig for them. I think it’s a great solution for me as they were really responsive. Wish it was working from the start but the donuts are newish so i give em a pass.

Really great customer service so far ¯\(ツ)

2 Likes