iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

front wheel? what happened to it?

Anyone with enough mileage to report on what happens to the wheel after a fair bit of use? And how many kms one can expect before exposing the foam core?

Initially, there’s a bit of vibration and noise from the thread pattern, then there is a “golden stage” where the thread pattern disappears on the main center contact patch, for a very smooth ride, and it only makes noise during carves with some of the thread pattern from the sides making contact with the road surface. That’s actually really enjoyable.
But then not sure what comes after, and how soon it’ll happen…

Here’s a pic of my baldest wheel so far:

3 Likes

That a chain drive I see you’re running?

2 Likes

I should probably do a front/back swap…

Mine are still fresh up front is that how you have it?

Small crack on the bearing seat after 83 miles.

1 Like

any crashes or incident? or is it just regular use?

1 Like

Just regular use. But I do weigh 225 lbs.

2 Likes

thanks for the heads up, im just about 145lbs. if i get them, will be sure to check those bearing seat once a week or so

Edit: my original 120 cloudwheel also didn’t crack, but just to be safe, i ain’t riding those anymore except when my friend needed big wheels for testing top speed…i know, i have sos beacon ready when he does crash

1 Like

My new skateboard, I should skate slowly in summer, enjoy it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Nice skate shoes… that goes well with the glitter grip
What’s that got to do with Cloudwheels by the way?

I Wanna see those toes after a spill lol

3 Likes

Mine did crack when I murdered them by inserting some other bearing…I epoxied them to keep them working…I own both the Red discovery and the Black one 120mm while the red came in already with cracks the black one were good all the way except when I damaged them inserting some bearings… Just a quick update on the cloudwheels situation on my side

3 Likes

@BillGordon It should be pointed out that there was a debate about whether the crack on the @rafaelinmissouri discovery wheel was due to the use of Isopropyl alcohol and toothpaste. He used those compounds to clean and polish the wheels prior to taking microscope pictures. @Hide pointed out that Isopropyl alcohol is known to crack plastics and I pointed out the long list of caustic ingredients in the toothpaste used by @rafaelinmissouri.

Some including @rafaelinmissouri disputed the possibility that the cracks were related to the chemicals. My personal opinion was that either the Alcohol or the Toothpaste was likely to cause crazing and cracking.

However if at this point, the only instance of a cracked discovery wheel happens to be the one that was treated with harsh chemicals, then I think it’s fair to attribute the crack to the chemicals.

Its a long thread at this point, did any one else report a crack? or just @rafaelinmissouri and @Esk84life

Hey @kevingraehl

How are the discoveries standing upto your 255 lb?

2 Likes

@BluPenguin You have had the discoveries the longest and your video shows you passing cars on the highway. How are yours holding up? Any new videos?

1 Like

@Hide
I sent you a PM. Can you take a look?

I’ve got a set of 105D yesterday, will see how it holds up

2 Likes

Stir this pot back up thanks to reddit

4 Likes

So I studied the Reddit post about the cloud wheel failure. It appears to have been either fake or due to user error (overtightened and overheating bearings and/or belts). I’m thinking overtightened bearings is the most likely. The redit poster claimed to have had two such failures. Once after 5 miles. Then he claims a replacement wheel arrives and on his next ride, the second wheel melts down after 10 miles. If that’s true it was likely due to an over tightened bearing melt down. None of it may be true. Just hours after the Reddit thread was posted, both the thread and the user account were deleted.

Its all very suspicious. But the bottom line is what are the odds of the same guy having the same meltdown and delamination failure on two seperate wheels on his first-ever 5 mile ride and his second-ever 10 mile ride. I think the odds are zero unless overtightened bearings heated up everthing to melting point.

The cores did not crack. The plastic heated up and the adhesive that holds the tire to the core gave way. To review the now deleted pictures and Redit posts, you can look here.

and here:

2 Likes

Yup, i think so too. He even said he held off the first time it happened, now it happened again, he posts about it and deletes his whole account an hour later? That doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes