iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

It was definitely the clear core? Because there’s been confusion about this before.

1 Like

I asked the same question, as I was very surprised. And it was made very clear, in writing that the 120D has the same issue.

Here is the direct quote, cut and pasted but slightly redacted to protect identities:

Actually the problem has not been solved with the “discovery” core. O… … has a set and they also cracked within a few 100 miles of use. Stay away from them for now.

I missed the last sentence in my cut and paste;

“They are still using too brittle of a material.”

Source?

Haha. “Someone said“ should be a good enough source :rofl:

4 Likes

Okay, the Discovery wheels sent by @Hide have landed.

They pass the visual inspection, and I was secretly hoping for orange, so bonus.

Here’s a closer look at the cores:

Spoke thickness:

The weights:

Here’s the pulley lowdown:

Classic clones fit with some slop:

Clone+ fits very snugly (my eLofty adapters):

Original ABEC cores do not fit:

Here’s the packaging:

!

Bearings and spacers are included as a nice touch:

Will start rides tonight and report back. (And yes @linny , I will fix the orientation of those two photos later. :kissing_heart: EDIT: Fixed. I live in fear of Linny. He’s a bully.)

23 Likes

pictures pictures pictures for proof… otherwise you get slapped with a salmon

Sawyer is in LA… You sure it’s not him?

Side note, I’ve put about 100 miles on my discovery cores so far, have taken them over some crappy pavement, grazed concrete, brick and rammed them across some bridge expansion gaps. no cracking as of yet. Still have not hit any dirt thx to the Rona virus. Trails closed…

6 Likes

Noice.gif

1 Like

Nice touch with adding the wheel weight. Somebody is raising the bar with first impressions posts…

2 Likes

Yeah, a cool guy with a username really similar to yours gave me the idea to weigh them as part of the post.

2 Likes

They are here…

My set of Discovery wheels are here.
Ordered April 16th delivered April 29th.

Here is hoping 3rd time is the charm.

7 Likes

@Hide I still have not received a response to my email. Is there a different way I should be trying to get after sales support?

1 Like

Just got my Discovery wheels to replace my cracked brand new Ownboard Cloudwheels. They don’t fit the pulleys, even though the iWonder site says they do. While I love riding on these wheels (I rode on the cracked ones for a few miles because I waited a month and a half for the board and I just needed to ride :slight_smile:). I’m hitting the limit of my patience now.

3 Likes

in the mail,what is your name?

1 Like

As I wrote in the cracked cores thread, I got my discovery wheels today and these do not fit my ownboard pulleys, despite iWonder specifically claiming they do in their shop. Here was their response:

“ Yes,discovery version has thicker spokes than original Cloudwheel.

We are now producing many kinds of pulley for different brand skateboards(including Ownboard).

Wheel pulley be available next month.”

1 Like

I outlined the pulley situation above. The issue is that, in order to make the cores stronger (almost double), they had to increase the spoke thickness. No way around that, or the ensuing pulley issues it causes.

2 Likes

Sent you a PM with my email address.

Sorry I misunderstood the post above, I though that the clones did fit for you, but that it just wasn’t a perfect fit. I’m disappointed I don’t get to ride them now, but as I said in the other thread I’m satisfied enough with them sending free pulleys when they do exist. I think the store for the discovery ones should definitely be updated with a message to that effect though.

1 Like

You’re talking about post #44 above?