Issue With Unity and Metr.at Module while Logging data

Now that’s a fuckin death machine

4 Likes

Well… You all saw how my board died last weekend in nyc… Went full throttle as well with a gt2b… I didnt want to point the finger at the unity since I was having some slight intermittent issues prior BUT I did just update the fw on unity before my wreck… I’m still not sure i cant point the finger at it but its in the way back of my.mind as potential “suspects” batch 1 unity also…

1 Like

@Accrobrandon What is your setup? Metr module?

Metr also logs PPM data:
It looks to me that it was at idle PPM~=1.5

6 Likes

Sequence of events:

While passing bicyclist:

^ 14:17:18 Consumption momentarily drops to 0 wh/mi without associated drop in motor current

^ 14:17:21 motor current drops and locks at 40.4a

^14:17:22 “ppm” drops to 1.51, equivalent to the idle value on the rest of the chart, motor current stays locked at 40a, scale of ppm chart has changed from the rest of the graph

^ 14:17:24 “ppm” value dips to “1.47” which is a lower value than anywhere else on the graph till that point, motor current still locked at 40a, ppm chart takes on a different scale from the rest of the graph

6 Likes

I just had the exact same thing happen to me…

First my setup: 10S6P 30Q, Unity 43.45, GT2B remote with fail-safe setup properly.

Here’s what happend:

I’m about to test the METR app and just go out for a small ride with a max speed of 10ish kmh. Nothing crazy, just need to test METR.

So I take on my shitty look-a-like flip flops, a thin shirt and a half-shell helmet. I go out and start riding in my backyard. “Let me just go out on a proper street”.

I go out on the road and starts cruising slowly. After 5-10 meters my board suddenly keeps going faster and faster and my brake isn’t working. Remember, i’m not geared up at all! (which is btw. totally my fault. It was stupid of me even though I just had to go veeeeery slowly, but as you can see electrical failure happens!)

I had just read about this fault and funny enough thought “That wont happen to me”. So while my board keeps going faster and faster, I jump off and manage to run it off. My board however keeps going full power and luckily decides to go towards the sidewalk where it hits a big curb and then lands on the sidewalk spinning in circles. I keep trying to brake but nothing happens. I then manage to put the board on it’s back and turn it off.

That was fucking scary and i’m extremely grateful that my board didn’t get hit by a truck and I managed to run it off.

I’m gonna have to open up the enclosure and see if something seems wrong, but for now I think im gonna blame the unity since this seems like the exact same issue @CiscoV had. Weird part is that I went for a long ride yesterday without any problems and haven’t updated anything since.

Here are some data that can hopefully help solve this big issue whether it’s the unity or not.

And remember to always gear up fully even though you are “just” testing. You might feel a bit stupid and takes longer time to gear up than the actual test, but electrical failure can happen! Don’t be like me… I was an idiot…

Metr stats. The failure starts at 16:48:00

Real-time stats after failure

My motor didn’t look good after…

Edit:

Here are my logs

https://pastebin.com/L4WTeJXv

And I actually just changed the cut-off end voltage from 31,5V to 33,5V before I started riding in my backyard.

7 Likes

Damn!! This is some scary stuff. Glad you’re ok brother. And same here. My motors don’t look that great after the facts lol.
Hopefully someone can find an answer to this issue.

2 Likes

seems dangerous

The ppm data on the charts was slightly off sync. Just slightly. It is fixed now. Let’s try to understand the reason behind this problem.

Moderators: can we somehow make this topic more visible? Change title. It might be a good idea to alert people running UNITY :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Yea shit is dangerous and scary…

Glad you’re okay too. You could have been injuried soo bad at that speed compared to me…

Scary shit if it’s not even our skill that makes us fall but the board itself…

2 Likes

To be honest. Falls due to equipment failure are way more traumatizing than falls due to fuck ups. Now. I have had several falls unfortunately the most severe ones have been due to unity issues. A few of them to be exact :pensive:

5 Likes

Oooook this is scary, I’ll be more cautious and gear up more when riding on my unity built boards. For those who had this problem occur, is this with the recent firmware update?

1 Like

I’ve only had serious issues (small issue with one site of my unity not registering hall sensor) with the unity in version 23.45. However like I said in my post, yesterday I went out for a ride without any issues at all. Same firmware, same everything.

1 Like

Damn. That really suxs. I love my hoyt remotes :pensive:. I have a few different remotes laying around but until this is all sorted out personally I don’t even wanna look at my board haha

That was my case. And a few others have popped after I posted my crash. Nothing concrete yet But it seems to be happening after the unity fw update Hard to tell

1 Like

I don’t think it’s realated to the hoyt remote. I have the GT2B and have multiple times turned on my board and remote, then turn off the remote (simulate connection lost) and then the board is still in natural position (no speed or braking, just free roll).

@CiscoV
Does your board also have METR? Don’t think it could be related to METR however my ride yesterday was without METR connected to my phone.

My board run for 18 miles before this happened. Power cycled and run for another 6 after the crash. No problem. All I’m saying is be careful cuz as an right Now there is no real answer on why this happened

It seem like it also has happened to a couple of people with different remotes than my hoyt puck

1 Like

Holy shit. That’s a lot of info to process here :rofl:. Knowledge beats brute force that’s for sure!
For us normies is just plug in, set up n off we go without realizing exactly what we’re looking at haha. I might have to have you recommended a safe remote for me cuz now I’m scared of my hoyt too haha

1 Like

Lmao. Sexy stuff. I have a few of them laying around I think ima have to give them a go haha. I will definitely try to learn more about fail safe n all of that now that you mention how important that is
Thank you brother :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Feel.free to analyze my data people… Por favor.

And video if youre bored…

12 Likes