Is this budget friendly (ish) DIY eMTB possible ?

With a good looking heatsink it would still be beautiful :wink:

Oh the AS circuit’s been taken out, but it comes with the XT90S already, so you just need to loop it. You don’t need to buy extra connectors or anything.

1 Like

Haero bro ofc

2 Likes

Oh no yeah I meant an extra xt 90 just in case you know that act as an emergency button, kinda

The HS11DS won’t fit a 12s8p battery pack made with 21700 cells. You can fit a maximum of 12s7p, so you might need to consider this before buying 96 cells

That’s…what the loop key is for. For regular on/off, it comes with a standard pushbutton switch.

2 Likes

I can’t create a topic for some reason so I am just posting this here. Also, I basically just copied and pasted this from the electric skateboard builders forum because someone told me this forum is more active

My first build was a street board with a budget of about $800 dollars and I think it turned out great and have I enjoyed it for a year now. I want my second build to be a mountainboard because I am an exceptional mountain biker with some great local mountain bike trails, and I want nothing more than to rip around on them with the power of electricity. I want my board to have a budget of about $1000. The batteries are going to be 2 top-mounted turnigy 6s 12000 mah lipo batteries wired in series. The VESC will either be a FOC box unity, Flipsky VESC, or a Spintend Ubox. Now comes to the tricky part, Flipsky has a mountainboard kit with everything I would need mechanically, but I now Flipsky has a really bad reputation among the esk8 community. Also, the motors have a really low max wattage and low max current. I wonder how much this would affect my hill climbing abilities because some of the trails I ride are really steep. The other more expensive option is L-faster a basically unknown Chinese company that sells off of AliExpress. I would probably use propulsion boards Flipsky motors with this kit. The more expensive option would have significantly better power and current. My board would probably be an MBS Comp 95 with bindings. My question is do you think the Flipsky drivetrain would lack so much in power it would be pointless to put on my build? Has anybody ever used the L-faster kit, if so were the parts cheap, and did they break easy? Does my board look compatible? Lastly, does anyone know of a cheaper mountain board than the Comp 95 that also has bindings?

1 Like

I don’t recommand the FSESC (flipsky esc) nor does anyone on this forum will, it has a bad reputation for a reason, the FS motors are good tho

he made a good board but is a bit off budget in your case

but

Anubis made a good parts list for an eMTB

don’t go belt driven if you plan on just doing offroad, go with a chain drive or a gear drive( this one cost a little more but is worth it ) (@frankthedragon might be able to help you out if you go for a chain driven board)

1 Like

You can deffo beat what I suggested on price, but those ali trucks, motors and mounts are garbage. I’m just saying there is a budget build, and then super budget and really you get what you pay for.

6 Likes

If you replace the springs, the Ali trucks are fine. That part list used the flipsky 6374 battle hardened. There isn’t much wrong with anything else there, it’s not garbage

3 Likes

I guess we need to see someone really putting it down on those trucks to see how they hold up

I dont think theres anything else wrong with what you posted at all, it would just be super budget and I guess you could use it as a platform for upgrading later on. I would just prefer to fork out a bit more

2 Likes

I’ve jumped on those trucks a few times :man_shrugging: Nothing huge, just sayin’.

Also, they have better/stiffer springs available, closer to the MBS springs that are hard to get a hold of nowadays. Stiffer springs and eggshocks did a lot to tame these trucks, but they were a special kind of fun in the streets bone-stock as long as you weren’t going 30mph+ or having weak ankles.

They seem sturdy enough, and seeing things like this make me think we’ll be ok.

4 Likes

Yea, I 100% agree build in as much upgradability into the board, thats one massive massive advantage of DIY people completely miss when they nonchalantly say DIY is always more expensive. As soon as you try to upgrade any part of a prebuilt, you realise you’ve basically got to replace the entire thing to get more performance.

Anyway, they have 12mm steel axles. I’d go on a limb and say you won’t be able to snap them. They’re cloned MBS Matrix I, the design fits all the MBS stuff from that era and I think you’re getting say 70% of what you’d get with a vertigo truck. The mounts aren’t amazing, but on a budget I don’t think they’re bad at all. People have bent them but with the right belt tensioning and maybe a custom idler, I bet they’d hold fine.

2 Likes

What the heck are those wheels :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

he’s compensating :wink:

1 Like

I think they’re turf tires? like, for a mower? 18x9.5-8. They big.

1 Like

They look insane mounted to this truck :laughing: And I have the feeling that someone is marketing this as a kit like this :rofl:

1 Like

What I have learned from this is I will probably use the MakerX Vesc and MakerX motors because I hear they are more trustable. I will probably stick with belts just because there is really no way to fit anything else in the budget. I will definitely switch to something more jam-proof after I have a gnarly crash from my belts jamming.

1 Like

No one has run a maker-x motor yet. They are brand new.

2 Likes

someone on the other forum has I think and also when I say trustable I am speaking to the brand, not the product.