Is this budget friendly (ish) DIY eMTB possible ?

What would you say? Middle one is Ali, right is Trampa and left wheel chair tire I bought around here that wore down half in less than 100 km

2 Likes

That one looks good to me visually.

I’d take the tubes out of it and the known soft one of similar size and squeeze them both laterally and towards the center of the wheel to see if it is a noticeable difference in firmness. Hopefully there should be.

2 Likes

I think I have you beat on price.

$232 Ali Trucks+Motor Mount+Pulleys+wheels+belts
(I’ve personally used this HW and it’s actually really solid. Took a bunch of abuse without moving at all.)

$100 Deck from MBS (there’s many options out there for this price, I suggest used.)

$170 Maker X Motors

A 12s5p can be built for roughly $250 if you use these cells and this BMS ($15)

I’d charge $550 to build it for someone local

ROUTE 1

$50 Remote

$40 Anti-spark

$22 BT Module

$150 VESC

ROUTE 2

$295 UBOX VESC+BT+Remote

$5 Loopkey Anti-spark

$10 Box

TOTAL: $1100 ish
+$75 for a fast charger

This is what I quoted my friend who wants to upgrade from her zealot and keep up with all the $2k+ boards on the group rides. This is assuming I provide my labor for free and she re-use her 12s charger.

Edit: I’d charge $550 to build this battery.

2 Likes

That deck is tipped at only 20° IIRC.

Makes for a terrible turning radius when coupled with zero degree mtb trucks.

Deck swap and that is a decent list though for a beginner board. The less flipsky the better though.

3 Likes

Given my experience with that esc so far, it would probably overheat in off-road conditions if it’s closed up

1 Like

You’re right, ideally, you’d get one used for a better value. Also the drivetrain comes with angled risers if it comes to that.

All about the value, hard to find better stuff for cheaper.

The use-case im thinking is group rides with grass being the most off-road it’ll see. Also a heatsink can easily be improvised

7 Likes

At that point I think the uBox might be a better value. It can replace the antispark, remote, and BT module since they’re all included, but you also get a 75V/300A system with integrated BMS support, and horn/light outputs. And it’s like $10 more than all the separate parts combined together, and cheaper during sales, and you save on shipping since it’s only from one place.

4 Likes

Very true. I will update it.

It has a heatsink, a pretty decent one, but even on a cool day, mine is hitting 75 degrees easily an thermal throttling (specifically with those motors @80 amps each), closed up in my enclosure

1 Like

You guys have it figured out. A few more budget friendly suggestions though…

Two 6s lipos w/ the highest mah you can afford or <$150/batt in a pelican case. Easily accessible for easy out of board charging, or wire up a charge circuit and a bms, idgaf.

The ubox is a good suggestion, and best buy for the money since you get so many extras included, however, I still think a dv4 + some cheap, battle hardened 6355s + a high ratio would produce a very capable mtb and save you some $$$. Remember, ppl like duffman are running 6355s and those little v4.xx singles.

20 degree tipped decks are overcome by the giant angled risers that come with most of the matrix I clone trucks, which are also the best option for budget builds. Added benefit, you can run thane on those 10mm axles :wink: Get the upgraded motor mount w/ the cage, it’s cheap and sturdy.

Really, an entire L-faster kit minus electronics is a good starting point for a budget mtb build.

2 Likes

Could /should make a whole and epoxy the esc on it airflow 1000

I believe the antispark option has been taken out tho. Should still make a key switch with an xt90

Yeah I’m thinking of installing it so it faces air but I didn’t want to put a hole in my beautiful bigben enclosure originally

1 Like

With a good looking heatsink it would still be beautiful :wink:

Oh the AS circuit’s been taken out, but it comes with the XT90S already, so you just need to loop it. You don’t need to buy extra connectors or anything.

1 Like

Haero bro ofc

2 Likes

Oh no yeah I meant an extra xt 90 just in case you know that act as an emergency button, kinda

The HS11DS won’t fit a 12s8p battery pack made with 21700 cells. You can fit a maximum of 12s7p, so you might need to consider this before buying 96 cells

That’s…what the loop key is for. For regular on/off, it comes with a standard pushbutton switch.

2 Likes

I can’t create a topic for some reason so I am just posting this here. Also, I basically just copied and pasted this from the electric skateboard builders forum because someone told me this forum is more active

My first build was a street board with a budget of about $800 dollars and I think it turned out great and have I enjoyed it for a year now. I want my second build to be a mountainboard because I am an exceptional mountain biker with some great local mountain bike trails, and I want nothing more than to rip around on them with the power of electricity. I want my board to have a budget of about $1000. The batteries are going to be 2 top-mounted turnigy 6s 12000 mah lipo batteries wired in series. The VESC will either be a FOC box unity, Flipsky VESC, or a Spintend Ubox. Now comes to the tricky part, Flipsky has a mountainboard kit with everything I would need mechanically, but I now Flipsky has a really bad reputation among the esk8 community. Also, the motors have a really low max wattage and low max current. I wonder how much this would affect my hill climbing abilities because some of the trails I ride are really steep. The other more expensive option is L-faster a basically unknown Chinese company that sells off of AliExpress. I would probably use propulsion boards Flipsky motors with this kit. The more expensive option would have significantly better power and current. My board would probably be an MBS Comp 95 with bindings. My question is do you think the Flipsky drivetrain would lack so much in power it would be pointless to put on my build? Has anybody ever used the L-faster kit, if so were the parts cheap, and did they break easy? Does my board look compatible? Lastly, does anyone know of a cheaper mountain board than the Comp 95 that also has bindings?

1 Like