Is this budget friendly (ish) DIY eMTB possible ?

Tell your buddy to buy this skate.

Guaranteed to stay in budget if it’s already built.

11 Likes

I agree with everything you said tbh

but belts are safer in case of an accident tho unless you also make a cover for it,

wait how did he not sell it already xD, sent it to him but I doubt he’ll even consider it for now :point_down:

1 Like

it’s still for sale if you’re interested =)

2 Likes

Why go hugefuckingbattery and single drive
Also, why get 18s esc when the battery is 12s. Just get a maker-x dv-6. Cheaper and with reputation already.
Also, don’t disconsider second hand parts
And account for shipping costs too…

6 Likes

Budget build… this is the best I can do

MBS Birds deck complete with matrix 2 trucks, F5 bindings and rockstar 2 wheels = £365

Electric boards solutions MBS belt drive mounts = £130.89

Wheel pulleys = £90.20

Motor pulleys = £23.38

2 x Turnigy SK8 192kv = £76.92 x 2

Focbox unity motor controller = £147.97

Flipsky VX1 = £36

Peli 1200 battery case = £65

Small peli/dive case for unity = £30

= £1042.28

Then add £50 for belts, wire, connectors whatever

Now add £25 for a hobby charger and £5 for a PSU

Batteries to taste, maybe two of these 16000mAh 6S beauts

£153.43 x2

=====

Total = £1429.14 which is around 2472 CAD

For another ~£30 you can switch that belt kit for moon drives and have gears.

That is about as budget you can get whilst maintaining high quality, obviously shipping isn’t included here and I’ve done this from the point of living in the UK.

11 Likes

I personally don’t think it’s as big of a deal as some people make it, since the entire drive sits much higher up on a mountainboard compared to a street board. I’d rather have the better dirty performance, durability, cost, and cold performance than worry about jams, and if it does end up being an issue I can pretty easily CAD and print up a cover for them.

2 Likes

I def still have some researches to do, but the 2472 $ price point is kinda over budget if shipping+taxes get included, overall this would be a good build thanks :slight_smile:

for an offroad only board ofc a chain drive system is better, or a gear drive but it’s expensive

my two cents from building my board that just went thru the roof with costs :joy:

Undermount enclosure works ok if you just use a singel layer of cells but its on the edge mine get smashed into rocks at times :stuck_out_tongue: Also really expensive just for the looks.

Belts suck when off-road! As soon as you hit wet sand it will build up on the pulleys and 1.2…3 the belts snap. You can prevent this to a certain point by having them a bit looser but then they will slip at hard braking.

I would scout the forum and snag stuff as they cone up for sale only way to keep it fairly cheap.

2 Likes

I know mate, my point was to show you that this is about as budget as you can get with acceptable performance and it just hits your budget without shipping and taxes. Like @b264 says, eMTB and “budget” dont go together, this is about as low as you can go in my opinion

7 Likes

I created this sheet for a top of the line DIY MTB. Theres deffo components that you can get cheaper like the deck, tyres and ESC.

I personally feel like a really nice street board costs the same as a DIY MTB

4 Likes

There was a say when I thought they did… the amount of knowledge gained and money spent still amazes me, and I have only just begun.

2 Likes

This is actually pretty great…if you’ve a got a teensy bit more coin what deck would u go for?

3 Likes

I’d cut the wheels from trampa. That’s a huge expense and you’re only getting hypa hubs. Go for These they are on sale right now and will save you a chunk of your budget

1 Like

Or just tell him trampa is our of his price range and start w an mbs pro complete like someone posted above

1 Like

Sorry mate but £50 MBS rockstar + £50 tyres from Ali is going to win every time if you want best bang for your buck

Plus TB wheels are kinda sus

2 Likes

I agree. I just was showing a cheeper option. What Ali tires do you recommend? I’m always searching for new tires @moon

1 Like

@Venom121212 @Pedrodemio Might know.

Also those hubs are only for 8/10mm axles

2 Likes

IMO, budget emtb is 100% possible and anyone saying “DIY is always more expensive than prebuilt” is just not telling the truth. Its only the case under like $600, and even then what you get for a prebuilt still has disadvantages not measurable in specs. You can do some really heavy offroading for about $1000 or so.

L-Faster matrix I clone trucks and mounts with flipsky 6374 140kv motors ($300)
Unity with active fan cooling if possible ($225)
12S LiPos ($200)
Pelican case ($30)
Silicone sealant, wires, connectors and shit ($50)
Mini or GT2B/RC remote ($13)
MTB Deck of your choice maybe a comp 95 ($100)
Bindings, extras etc $100

Total is like 1k$. It will do actual serious offroading (If you’re not especially heavy)
Example rides using a similar build costing about 1k

Its simply not true that you “need” a 63100 dual VESC6 gear driven trampa $3000 build to offroad. Its nicer on it, buts its not “impossible on a budget”

11 Likes