Is somebody riding in duty cycle mode?

Maybe I will give it a shot.

afaik current vesc code is implemented in a similar way to watt mode so should be similar.

the problem here is you need to decide what you want to happen with throttle.

Do you actually want 50% throttle to maintain 50% acceleration, 50% power or 50% speed?

50% acceleration is basically current control?
50% power is duty cycle mode
50% speed will be PID Speed Control.

in current control 50% will likely cause you to increase in speed till you reach a stable state where your using the same motor power to coast as your throttle value. at higher motor currents this is likely to be full speed. i expect this is what evolve are using but due to their lower motor power a 50% motor current finds an equilibrium at a lower speed than top speed.

Im not 100% sure how duty control works but i would guess its similar to current but controlling duty directly rather than current. at 50% I would still expect the board to not run at a constant speed.

50% PID control will allow you to cruse over any terrain or hill and maintain constant speed however when you change the throttle level the vesc will aggressively increase or reduce motor power. This is good for industrial applications or if your feeding it from your own control loop but wont be fun to ride. If you are going to try i would set relativity high throttle ramping times to avoid getting thrown off.

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer.

The Evolve RC and basicly all other remotes are working like the duty cycle mode. Thatā€™s what I would like to have.

I donā€™t think this is the case.

This is what I would like to have.

No further acceleration when keep the throttle at one position.

1 Like

i thought all vescs are trampa parts

iā€™m confused what this statement actually meansā€¦ earlier you said your motor current limit was 100a but that your motor current was 200aā€¦ suggesting you are ā€œaddingā€ the current of both escs together which isnā€™t technically accurate. to avoid confusion, when referring to currents always refer to motor or battery current per motor (as if your board only has 1 motor).

did the 60a / 60a (per motor) in current control give you linear throttle/torque at all speeds? when you input settings it refers to the motor or battery current per motor not both combined.

1 Like

As i said earlier cruise control can bring you to it. Just get up to the speed you want, push button and the board will maintain the same speed. One more push and you back to control your speed manual.

It means, that we are happy with our 200A MT VESC.
We will test it in the next hours.

it isnā€™t clear what you mean by 200aā€¦ thereā€™s an important distinction between what the hardware components may be technically capable of vs what the firmware will allow.

for example the mosfets might be rated for 200a for a very short time, but if the software only allows you to draw 60a from the battery per motor, is it still a 200a controller? thatā€™s debatable. we wonā€™t know for sure unless you post a graph of your measured currents while riding.

2 Likes

You can see the logs in the community board project X thread :slight_smile:

it looks like your controller is capable of drawing over 100a battery current per motor (see battery current 102.2a and motor current 159.3a)ā€¦ so if you want a high level of power and linear torque at all speeds, just set the motor current and battery current limits per motor to the same valueā€¦ it looks like you could use 100a motor and 100a battery settings to achieve this

*the one exception to this is if the graph is ā€œaddingā€ the currents of both motors together than the statement i just made isnā€™t necessarily true- itā€™s only true if the graph shows the motor and battery currents of only one motor

1 Like

can i askā€¦ when this graph was made was the motor current limit setting ā€œ100aā€

if the answer is yes it implies the graph is adding the currents of both motors together

Iā€™m just going to add this in. It sounds like the problem isnā€™t wether or not the throttle provides a linear current output, but wether or not the throttle position could directly control the speed of the board.
PID control would allow you to do this, but would constantly use max current in order to achieve the desired speed. In order for PID control to be feasible, I think it would need to only control acceleration, and would need a large positive ramping time.
PID controlled acceleration with current controled brakes would be a really cool mode. I could see this being really helpful when offroading. In current control mode, once the wheels lose traction they spin out like crazy. With PID control, you could monster truck over gnarly terrain without sounding out the tires like crazy.

1 Like

This was on 80A per motor.

right so each motor is only getting 80a max in the chartā€¦ (each motor gets half of what is shown by the graph)ā€¦ which means when the battery current says 102a, each motor is only drawing 51a batteryā€¦ which is still under the 60a battery limit I told you about.

so for linear throttle at all speeds, you need 60a motor and 60a battery settings as iā€™ve been saying all along.

^see the bottom left chart, thrust is reduced above a certain speed with 100a motor setting and the 60a battery firmware limit (even if you input higher values), because sustaining 100a motor current at those higher speeds would exceed the 60a battery firmware limit

3 Likes

Ack has mentioned current mode in official vesc has implemented his watt mode.

1 Like

i think watt mode will either sacrifice your power at high speeds (with low watt settings) while delivering throttle range at all speeds, or if you try to have the same amount of power as current control maxed out (with high watt settings), then watt control will in theory mess up your throttle range at low speeds

@deucesdown here is an animation of @Chricious setup in watt control mode (with 100a motor current limit setting and 60a battery firmware limit), starting with a 250w limit and increasing in 250w limit increments to 3000w limit (which is equivalent to 60a battery firmware limit):

iā€™ve circled in the top middle chart the ā€œmissing wattsā€ and in theory ā€œmissing throttle rangeā€ at the low end of the speed range which are caused by the 100a motor current limit setting in watt control mode

notice either he is sacrificing thrust at high speeds compared to his present setup (bottom left chart) with very low (250w) watt settings (but achieving full throttle range), or with high watt settings, the throttle range at low speeds is sacrificed because with a 3000w watt limit, this wattage is impossible at low speeds without exceeding the 100a motor current limit setting.

finally, for comparison a chart of his performance in current control mode with either 60a motor and 60a battery settings or 100a motor and 60a battery settings:

2 Likes

finally, letā€™s look at his setup in duty control mode with no current failsafes at 50% throttle (which is a bit absurd):

hmmā€¦ ~360a motor current (blue line, top left chart) and 18000w electrical watts (yellow line top middle chart) total from the battery at standstillā€¦ itā€™s hard to say what would explode firstā€¦

Does anyone know how hoyt does this?

3 Likes