Is somebody riding in duty cycle mode?

Can somebody back this?

I can try it, but I don’t think it will change anything. I had it on 80A before and it was the same. Besides we want to max out the available power.

I’ll update you tomorrow.

Yes, 60a PER ESC, so if you are using a DUAL, then it will be 120a for BOTH, (not 240a for 2 motors).

Don’t confuse dual ESCs as 1, For example the Unity has max 120A battery in settings, because it is 2 ESCs pulling 60A per channel

Changing to 60a per ESC battery and 60a per motor would theoretically give you 100% linear throttle control. But again, still controlling power, not speed.

2 Likes

50% power at 50% throttle travel is what I want.

So if I would like to have more power I need to go with the no limit
SW?

more technically 50% max torque… max power only happens at one particular rpm

the reason for the firmware limit is to not exceed the hardware [heat] limit

Are you sure you mean 50% power not 50% top speed?

Also are your motor amp ratings true? Just because you set motor amps at 200 doesn’t mean it is not running the stator to saturation with significant torque loss.

Duty cycle is limited to 95% though, so to get all the power you’d have to up the motor max a little over the batt max, right?

my understanding is 200a motor will be firmware overridden to 120a motor, and 120a battery will be firmware overridden to 60a battery

1 Like

You’re right, I was just making a point that putting in big numbers in VESC tool doesn’t mean it reflects real world performance. The hardware needs to match.

2 Likes

yes, 60a bat / .95 = 63.15a motor for max power & linear throttle, in theory – i was trying not to add extra complications, but you are correct

if you were to do 60a motor & 60a battery, the most from the battery you’ll get is 60a motor * .95 = 57a battery

(and this all assumes BLDC control mode for max power - FOC mode uses different formulas, and has less peak power but more efficiency)

2 Likes

Yes, if you go off road for example it’s not possible to get 50% top speed at 50% throttle, with no ESC/RC.

Yes, we measured 100A per motor.

If you just want a linear power/throttle curve, then set motor amps = to battery amps as @professor_shartsis suggested.

2 Likes

I’ll try it tomorrow. Also With 200A total in no limit mode to mach the 200A total motor A (if 60A/60A work).

1 Like

To add on to what others have said… after getting a metr pro it is nice to be able to cruise around on my “sport” mode with 50 batt amps (total) and 50 motor amps (per) limited @25mph.

I do this so for increased efficiency and safety. I love crusing at 28-30mph but it kills my range and the risk of injury from 25mph+ is much higher without complete gear. Considering my shoulder is still not 100% from my accident last March, it is nice to give myself a limit.

If I want to shred I switch to a higher mode with increased amp limits and top speed.

5 Likes

this is likely to overheat and damage the mosfets fairly quickly… if you want that much motor current i’d recommend an esc designed for it such as the vesc 75v/300a

1 Like

I think I completely understand that. It does make sense to have available limits that can be pre-set. I just always had a mentality of wanting to have all power available all the time, even if I’m cruising around slow, I like to have everything available in case I need to punch past a car or get up something steep without having to take time to flip settings.

2 Likes

Ya but the vesc app.you can set profiles with custom acceleration curves and top speeds. You have to select it on your phone so not as convenient as on the remote.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggests, but our VESC is totally capable of handling 100A per with ease. We are not interested in Trampa parts at all.

Have you folks tried Ackmaniac’s firmware?

Not in the last time, since it’s quite outdated compared to the VESC tool.

But it has a mode which works similar to what you looking for.
if I remember right it was called watt mode.
Never used it by my own so please somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like