Is it possible to fabricate a differential for esk8, thus allowing for less motors but still getting 4WD?

Nice! Do you still have the STL for the bearing holder?

2 Likes

All 3d models for Dickyho mount here

3 Likes

As Bill said, Carvon did it many years ago that was meant to go on the AWD “REVO” build but Jerry decided not to go ahead with it. I think it was literally easier just to run another dual hub setup. Maybe he couldn’t work out how to get braking to work with the one way bearings??

3 Likes

Damn homie out here in 3005.

Can anybody list some true negatives to doing this…?

1 Like
  • Less brake power than dual motors
  • No brakes if the single esc fails
  • Slightly more wear on the wheels and whole drivetrain

But that is all minor in my opinion.

Compared to 1WD there are no real disadvantages imho.

2 Likes

Oh, I mean for 1WD only. No references to 2WD. This is dank.

Yeah, compared to 1WD this single motor 2WD setup is pretty superior in my opinion.

4 Likes

Very few notisable down side over single drive

Minor loss in turning radius
Much better traction
Much better brakes
Cheaper than dule drive builds
Truck with sensitive

Custom motor shafts needed
Less tolerance acceptable on bracket setup

In my opinion if people soled kits to do this it would have been my first Esk8

2 Likes

You know what bud, I won’t disagree with you because I have not tried it and I don’t know how it rides. You’re more experienced here by a large degree.

I’ll try it :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I didn’t feel that. It’s all about motor power and wheels grip. My motor can easily lock two wheels . For example, most dual hub builds will have weaker brakes. Caliber trucks allow to fit single 6384 motor.

2 Likes

@b264 does this not tickle ur pickle?

I mean, in reality, your current build is plagued by a single belt that can break…

Now you have belt redundancy systems in place…

13 Likes

One esc though? Do you want a Brian riot on your hands here?

1 Like

Uhm…

2 Likes

thats a good point!
If someone were to make a 6374 single motor dual drive “kit” with all the stuff included, I bet it would sell very well.

1 motor and 1 esc cheaper than dual 6355 and 2 esc’s

4 Likes

No, a differential on an esk8 is dumb in my eyes.

The differential solves a problem unique to internal combustion cars – that is, having two engines is too heavy and too large. So they split the torque from one engine to two wheels.

On an esk8, it’s better to have two smaller motors than one bigger motor and a differential. The weight and space of the differential would be better spent by adding another motor instead, even if both motors are smaller.

edit: or the single motor 2WD above with no differential :+1:

1 Like

What about space/weight constraints of a larger dual ESC or a second single ESC on the board?

I think this has a fairly perfect place for me at least :man_shrugging:

There’s a reason why many electric cars use single large motor vs 2 small ones, or 3 motor for 4wd etc. One large motor will have more power than the equivalent size and weight of 2 smaller ones. a 5 lb motor is going to out perform 2 x 2.5lb ones, not to mention twice the belt/gear, twice the ESC and wiring.

3 Likes

How about I simplified it. the main disadvantage to single drive is brakes due to traction. Justification, You can compensate for power by useing bigger motors. I can lock up my urathane from -35 and always at -45amp. The smallest motor normally used is 6355 that takes up to 55amp average. Old vesc 4.12 could take up to 50amp avrage and most vesc 6 take 80amp or better. So unless you messed up you settings every one can lock there wheels due to the traction limitations

Locked axle e.g. go cart style good idea

Differential or free wheeling eg car or push bike bad idea

Because

locked axle if 1 wheel lost traction the other works fine independently.

If 1 wheel on a diff loses traction that wheel spins at double speed and the 1 with traction dose nothing you have lost all power or brakes.

If you have a system like a push bike free wheeling system only 1 wheel or no wheels if it’s applied to both can be used as a brakes.

Conclusion @Darkie02 is a fan of good brakes

2 Likes

In a petrel engin I would agree but in a electrick motor I would not

Single large motor 80A
Dule small motor 130A

Even if I took 15% off the small motors it’s still

96 vs 2*46.75 (93.5)
85A vs 105.5

96 1280
2* 55 605g x2 1210g

Take 15% of the small or motors again 1028g

So multiple small motors are stronger and lighter

2 Likes

Is a fundamental flaw with that. Those motors are not rated by stator size, but total can size. The 6396 is extra long with an additional support bearing, but the stator is almost equivalent to a 6374. It’s all wasted space imo. Compare 2 similar construction motors, the 6374 vs the 8085 (actually 8074 size).

1 Like