Is it possible to fabricate a differential for esk8, thus allowing for less motors but still getting 4WD?

I feel like the simplest solution is just having custom motors made with shafts coming out both ends.

1 Like

The only way to play this out is to use one massive motor in the center of the board with 2 driveshafts going to each truck and a differential on each truck. Single motor 4WD. With a 2 speed gearbox.

3 Likes

I can get on board with one motor for two wheel drive or two motors for 4 wheel drive.
But I see no point in the complexity of one motor for 4 wheel drive.

4 Likes

More for fun at that point. but so is putting a differential on a truck I think.

1 Like

Some 63200 motors with shafts coming out both ends… Just made to fit. Basically the length of the hanger.

1 Like

That would be a great motor. I’m wondering how the motor would be mounted… The deck would have to be like very rigid, no flex.

Who makes a 63200 motor?

1 Like

4x4 one engine

3 Likes

Nobody yet lol.
I was thinking mounting exactly how we Mount dual-drive currently.
The motor would just share both mounts. it would look like a normal dual drive at first glance.

1 Like

But if your using a differential, the motor should be perpendicular to the trucks…

I’m not talking about using a differential.
I’m talking about one motor that would reach between two of our standard belt drive motor mounts that has a shaft on each end.
It would be no extra moving parts just a different type of motor and would still accomplish 2wd with one motor and 1 ESC.

2 Likes

Similar to how the spiral bevel gear drive works.
Screenshot_20200105-140307_Chrome

1 Like

Ahh, ok got ya!

1 Like

I was just trying to think of the simplest solution that involve fewer new moving parts that could still utilize parts we already have

Really good, work 100% perfectly!

3 Likes

Is there a tutorial on how to set this up? Are the printable files available? Looks awesome!

This one is 4x4 and with inhub gears.
https://electro-longboard.de/produkt/evo-x5/

2 Likes

Why? One motor 2WD have less parts, less points of failure. It’s cheaper and fully use hardware.
My 6374 motor is too powerfull for one 97mm abec street wheel - lack of grip. One 15mm belt cant propertly hold 3kW of power. So I split power of one motor to two wheels. Vesc max output 100A and It’s above limit of my 10s4p 30q battery. What battery can fully load 2x2450W of two 6354 motors? Battery allways will be bottleneck in street boards.

10 Likes

That looks great. So let’s see, longer motor shaft, another motor mount and pulleys.

I might give this a shot. A single drive board I’ve been using to commute currently has good acceleration, but brakes like crap. The wheel can come to a stop, but the board doesn’t, I fear it may eventually lead to many flat spots. Anyone able to point me to a direction where I can get a long motor shaft?

1 Like

I swap my motor shaft with this one
Motor bell and pulleys holds now by dremel groove. No lathe, no milling. Just chineese 10mm shaft, dremel and loctite. Plus 3d-printed bearing holder.

7 Likes