Is it possible to fabricate a differential for esk8, thus allowing for less motors but still getting 4WD?

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer: it would be more expensive to produce and more mechanically prone to issues than an independent wheel drive while offering arguably less performance. Yes it can be done but the question is why.

5 Likes

Here in France some of us do this ! A few 2wd with one motors or 4wd with two powerplants!
Works really nice!

Hobbyking mount for the win as you can see😁

12 Likes

Carvon had a running single motor dual drive back in the day.

7 Likes
3 Likes

+1 this.
I am not sure a dif is really needed for a vehicle with such a large turning radius and such narrow track as an esk8, especially on rwd.
Go carts are the perfect example of how it can work.

3 Likes

on penimatic tires I would say no on a urethane street board 70amp its a grate amount of power

70amp
VESC6 desin esc can handle it fine
2WD is good grip on urethane for brakes
4p Q30 its safe discharge

IMO its a good cheep build I think its makes a single motor board a option I would use and wish I considered it when building my spud.

1 Like

Do one of these and change the engine for a big ass motor

Definitely possible, but expensive. If you go big like these guys you can repurpose differentials from other vehicles, but for a compact one most parts would have to be custom

If you are inclined to have no brakes on one of the axles you can use a one way bearing and go single motors without the wheels skidding on corners, that’s my plan at least

4 Likes

Rimac did it already 10 years ago.

Electric vehicles exist since more than 100 years. Obviously about anything has been done already. Still multi speed gearboxes are super uncommon because they are unnecessary.

3 Likes

How do these hold up?

1 Like

Yes but is that also including the 4 ESC you’d also need?

Yeah, because you also only need half the current you can get cheaper VESCs that cost only $60 a side.

Good point.

It could possibly be easy to adapt existing differential units from 1/8 scale or larger RC cars. Plenty of them exist on the market and many of them are metal and relatively high quality. For no reason other than shits and giggles.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Just wasn’t sure if it could handle the torque.

1 Like

I remember seeing a skateboard truck with an integrated differential inside of it on Instagram sometime last year. I think @moon shared it? ( Wasn’t his content just something he stumbled across )
The clearance looked like ass though.

1 Like

Yeah I would only run something like that on pneumatics!

I feel like channel trucks would be the most ideal for space for the differential but then at that point you’re talking about pretty expensive custom trucks and it would just be cheaper to do dual drive…

True. This is just for science though, lol.

Not to mention hollow trucks stress me out.