Is diy in 2024 worth it?

Did you just use a panel from a Chick Tract?
That is definitely something I didn’t think I’d see today.

Regarding DIY, it has its ebb and flow. My Eskate is a Proto that I put together from the old DIY kit, and I love that board more than any other eskate. The attachment to it is very real, and I get a lot of joy from it.

Similarly, it was DIY that reinvigorated my love for one wheels, since after the GT released I was sorely disappointed and pretty disillusioned. I’ve since made tens of DIY onewheels and more batteries for them than I can easily count, and it’s been very rewarding seeing that grow. I’ve built myself 3 different boards at this point, and I don’t think I could happily ride a non DIY Onewheel again. I’ve gotten accustomed to making something that suits what I think it should be like.

Lastly, I started learning guitar a couple years ago, and the only one I play is the Telecaster I put together from parts. I learned to do the electronics wiring, auditioned some pickups and necks, learned to do fretwork, and spent a few weeks putting it together. I had guidance from a friend who’s got a lot of expertise and when I was done he told me some things I missed and also that it was a solid feeling instrument that played well.

Learning on it now feels great, I get joy from it. And I get joy from the things in my home that I am able to fix myself.

The Eskate thing ended up being sort of an incidental of just wanting to find feelings of accomplishment instead of something being a more walkabout thing.

I can’t DIY everything, but I find joy in what little I can.

8 Likes

Yes, I don’t ride mine much because it’s annoying to drag out from behind the dining table, where it lives a peaceful and uneventful life most of the time except for when it doesn’t.

skill issue

1 Like

I just hit 5000 miles between my eco moble and backfire. Surprisingly no broken bones yet, just crazy road burns. Im prob gonna buy a pre built because its cheaper and then diy upgrade it. Currently looking at a used kaly nyc xl50+ belt drive. Is it possible to add another top mount battery to an existing bottom battery, assuming you match the cell type, and series amount? And do people upgrade their pre builts? Like putting in better esc and motors. Or is it best to leave it how it is, with everything best paired to the rest of the parts?

1 Like

Can o worms…

…umm….

even with the best prebuilt there’s always someone who is addicted to diy and can’t resist customising it and adding more…

arguable whether hot glue is an upgrade though? :rofl: :heart:

#DIYwillneverdie

2 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend

2 Likes

hot glue is ass

Al lives for ass

2 Likes

You guys just wait. I have a very special mod happening very soon

2 Likes

You should make an esk8 where the whole deck itself is made out of hot glue.

3 Likes

1 Like

You’re actually on the right track :rofl:

1 Like

Hot glue/Carbon Fiber Composite, Layup in an autoclave.

1 Like

Not this stuff.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065545/

1 Like

Unless “assembly speed” is your primary metric, there seems to always be a better choice than HMA in my opinion.

Unless you’re using heatshrink on cabling, then inserting small pieces of HMA inside before heating is unbeatable

Nah, dasshit wak.

Hot melt is awesome, and that 3M stuff will mess you up.

2 Likes

Now I want to try some, but it comes in 5kg boxes.

Do the kaly xl-50 also have a tendncy to blow up or is that just the xlr?

That ubox may blow up on you, but the batteries are okay. Not built well, but they don’t seem to spontaneously combust.